Author Topic: Leupold RX series  (Read 314 times)

Offline Rimfirekid1022

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold RX series
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:50:14 PM »
I'm lookin at the RX-IIII for my birthday maybe in december, and was wonderin if you guys have used one?  If you have, I gots a couple questions.  How complicated is it to use?  Do you feel the TBR (true balistic range) technology does what it says its supposed to do accurately?  How clear and crisp are the optics, and how do they perform in low light.  How quick and easily does it range various targets at various ranges. Ex.-trees, animals, ground, through light brush, and in bad weather.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks
Where'd ya learn that rookie??...Drug School??~Farva

Offline xr650rRider

Re: Leupold RX series
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:49:13 PM »
I've received and already returned a RX-IV.  I never got them to range anything over 600 yards.  They are advertised as 1500 yard rangefinders.  They had too many options.  You have to cycle through the different options with the mode key.  When you get to an option on the circular menu it starts flashing, you have to select it and if it wasn't selected before it is now.  Sounds confusing because it is.  You can't turn the compasss on and have TBR mode selected.  You can't turn on the thermometer and have TBR mode selected.  IF you want to range >150 yards you have to turn that mode on.  If you want to range less than 150 yards you have to turn it off.  I had a headache after playing with them for 30 minutes.  The optics are comparable to a cheap set of Nikon sportsman 8x20 binoculars that I carry in the console of my truck.  The backlight looks like a joke.  I didn't use it when it was actually dark but it looked like someone was shining a flashlight in the back of the lens.  I could have dealt with all of the above but they just don't range as advertised.  They would not range an extended cab GMC pickup sitting broadside at 500 yards.  This was on a bright clear day with the temperature around 90 degrees F.   They would not range a treeline at 1000 yards.  They seemed to take a couple of seconds to get a reading on any target.  I was trying to range a 12" telephone pole at 400 yards and I finally had to get a tripod out to hold them steady enough to get a reading.  I would have to depress the button for at least 3 seconds and hold steady then release to get a reading.  Even then it was 1 reading every 5 tries.  I ordered a set of the Swarovski Laser guides after sending the RX-IV's back to Cabela's and there is no comparison.  The Swarovskis range instantly and I've ranged several things over 1800 yards.   They cost twiced as much but in the long run they will be worth it.

A review you might want to read.
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=113099&an=0&page=0#113099

Offline Rimfirekid1022

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:50:20 AM »
Thats too bad.  I would have hoped they would have been better than that, but it doesnt surprise me that they aren't great since they are made in china.  I've been lookin at the Swarovski's today and looked through one at the sportsmans warehouse, and like you said it ranged instantly, and the optics were impressive.  My only question is, is how were you gettin em to range things over 1800 yards when they advertise only 1500?  Thanks!
Where'd ya learn that rookie??...Drug School??~Farva

Offline xr650rRider

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »
It seems they rate them conservatively or they rate them honestly however you want to look at it.  I ranged cell phone towers that were over 1800 yards.  The conditions were optimum for ranging as it was early in the morning and overcast.  They might not have ranged them if it was hot and sunny.  So I think their 1500 yard rating is when conditions are less than optimum.