Author Topic: Handi Rifle opens when shot  (Read 935 times)

Offline hotburn76

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi Rifle opens when shot
« on: July 02, 2006, 06:23:13 PM »
Hello all been a while since my last post, been hitting the summer overtime hard.  But my question for ya all is that I have a 204 handi and bought it back in the early spring and shot it well and never had any problems that I can remember.  Well I finally have some time and started to shoot again and when I shoot the break open action actually opens up a little when the shot is fired, like sometimes maybe a 1/4 inch.  Have any of you ever experianced this?  The little thumb lever that you push down is kinda "sloppy/ loose" when the gun is closed.  Is this supposed to be tight when closed?  I took the barrel off and the latch that holds the barrel shut seams ok but you can push it in.  If you hold the thumb latch up so its not laying loose then you cant push it in.  I suspect the thumb lever is the problem but just want your opinions on it and maybe you all could look at yours and see if your thumb lever is tight when up.  Sorry so long and thanks!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:40:02 PM »
Read the Pop Open Medicine under Accurizing in the FAQ and Help sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »
The slop in the release (thumb) lever is normal for these guns.  I suspect your problem is a little bit of powder residue or other crud has found it's way into your action and is keeping the catch from fully engaging.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:47:16 AM »
Mine will pop open if not closed hard enough. It also seems to be more of a problem when fired from the bench.

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 04:32:11 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Read the Pop Open Medicine under Accurizing in the FAQ and Help sticky.

Tim

Thats what fixed mine. Just go VERY SLOW,when you are honing the barrel lug. You can always take off more.....................

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:14:55 AM »
Thanks to all for the info.  I think it is a latch not hitting the shelf enough.  I smoked it and it only hits the shelf about a fouth of the way up on the shelf and only a little over a sixteenth not nearly an eighth of an inch.  Will have to go out and buy a nice hone since mine are old and do not have crisp corners on them.  I think the oil could be helping too as the gun is not "dirty" but the last time I cleaned it I did give it a good shot of remington oil and when I took it apart to clean for smoking there was alot of oil on the latch and shelf.  Thanks to all and will try to keep you updated.

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 07:16:03 AM »
Also forgot to ask, but will this affect my virtical POI?

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: Handi Rifle opens when shot
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »
My old .30-06 developed this problem after I had a teflon finish applied.  I sent it in to NEF and they took care of it.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 04:48:02 AM »
Also forgot to ask, but will this affect my virtical POI?

Poor latch engagement or oil on the latch shelf may cause vertical stringing and changing POI.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 06:48:02 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and to quickdtoo for the help with the handi!  Fallowing the instructions posted in the sticky post and working the shelf down fixed the problem.  Went out and started to work on hand loads and my best so far is 3/4 of an inch with 4895 and 39 gr blitz kings.  Gun never opened one time!  Now if I can just work up a better load!