Author Topic: Best Action? ? ? ? ?  (Read 616 times)

Offline bayrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Action? ? ? ? ?
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:39:53 PM »
Hey Guys___ Just curios about a few things, if you were to compare single action vs: double vs” auto (glock) as far as dependability and able to withstand normal ware and tare and an occasional dropping in the river or sand or any other incident that can happen in an outdoor setting that would render your firearm inoperable. WHICH action would you choose and why? ? ? Now mind you this is a woods defense gun( 2 & 4 legged ) The biggest critter you might deal with be be blk.bear(250-400lbs.)_____ THANKS BAYRUNNER

Offline Questor

Re: Best Action? ? ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:46 PM »
Double action revolver. When it gets too caked with crud I just urinate on it to clean it up and it's good for another year.

Seriously, though, it's going to vary by model not by action. I do prefer the double action revolver because it's an excellent design for field carry and comes in chamberings that make sense for field carry.
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:03:56 PM »
For your application, Glock 20. Very reliable, rugged, and easy to maintain. The 10mm with proper loads is no slouch either! Much more "dirt friendly" than any other handgun I've seen. For serious social discorse, I preffer the single action to the DA, but I have both and get on quite well with either.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:20:50 PM »
Double action.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
I'll take a double action...
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:51:45 PM »
I own both. I prefer semi-autos to revolvers for loading and speed.
SIGS can take a licking and keep on ticking, they are double.
My STI's are single but I believe they could also take a dunking and keep going. I find no disadvantage to single actions but one must remember what it is they have with them.
Revolvers are good and I prefer them in double action.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »
I'm a wheelgunner, but if you're gonna keep dropping this thing in the dirt and mud I'd go with the Glock 20. I've seen cylinders so gummed up with fine dust and sand that they would hardly turn. Easier to clean out the Glock.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
Double action revolver. When it gets too caked with crud I just urinate on it to clean it up and it's good for another year.

Interestingly enough, I do believe that this method was used to clean fouling out of the much harsher
Blackpowder cannons of the civil war. The boy's had to line up at the trough and I pity the swab man.

I personally like the single action but this could be some Very Close work as the bear may even have
You down in the dirt. If you are able to get a hand on the gun you will be wanting to pull that trigger
Fast as in Double action revolver.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »
Ruger decocker model.......... 8)

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:04:46 PM »
Right you are Griz! Most don't know how fragile a revolver really is in an extremely dirty invironment or how easily damaged they are when dropped on a hard surface. The Glock is the way to go in such an environment, plus the mdl 20 offers decent power in an autoloading pistol. I would personally carry my S&W mdl 29 in 4" for a woods gun---------of course I don't drop it a lot and I would probably choose a sholder holster to protect the gun from the environment as much as possible.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 03:56:45 AM »
Savage is right.  Semi-autos are built to take punishment, especially mil-spec types.  Revolvers, although I like them and prefer them for field carry, can get jammed upp quickly with dirt and brush; dropping one into a muddy pond, er sumptin, can hang them up immediately.  JMHO.  Mikey.