Author Topic: Beercan Mortar  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
YES!!! Photos.,Photos.,Huzzah!

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2005, 12:22:33 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics almost as much as I can't wait to hear the ring when this baby goes pop!

B

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 12:26:43 PM »
These are gone now :(  but here are a couple of pictures. I plan on ordering some more bronze shaft.

Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 02:48:48 PM »
:shock:  YES !!!!! ., I like the big one. I'll be back after I calm down.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  Its almost like a Coewitzer Mortar.  And it looks like GOLD. :toast:

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »
Hi, I managed to get almost all the machine marks polished out for you :grin:  Please let everyone how much you like it. That big one is my 1/3 scale 24 pounder on a generic field carriage.

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2005, 03:06:34 PM »
I just recieved the highest quality and nicest looking barrel I have in my collection today.
Wes .., its heavy ! and looks like a Bronze mirror. Its beautiful and I cant believe its mine. I am shell-shocked really., THANK YOU  !  I will post pics after its assembled.,however itll be after I return from Cebu in May. I cant wait to hear the thunderous roar this one  is sure to deliver.

If anyone is sittin on the sidelines deliberating. You better gettem while there available. I could have easily paid alot more $$$ for alot less mortar .  :agree: This is what its all about ! ! !  

That big one is my 1/3 scale 24 pounder on a generic field carriage.
Nice !

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
Thanks for the Kind words Tropico. :oops:
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 03:30:25 AM »
Wes (Powder Keg) shipped my steel beer can mortar tube on Sat. Dec 17th and I received it in great condition at 3:45PM on the following Wed. Dec 21st.  Exactly one hour after UPS delivering it, I prepared a PM to Wes, telling him that I was extremely happy with my purchase.  When I hit the "submit" button, I got "page not available" so I tried to post a note on his Beer Can Mortar thread.  Got the same page not available crap.  So, I'll take another chance now, that this post will make it to the forum.
At any rate, I'm very happy with mortar tube that Wes fabricated.  Great job.  I'm now making arrangements to get an iron carriage/base for it.  I'll post a picture when it finally arrives and get assembled.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO) :grin:
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
Hi Wes,

Sorry I haven't been able to get into the forums for the last few days.  My bronze mortar arrived and it is BEAUTIFUL even though UPS managed to ding one of the edges.  I'm thinking of sending it to a friend of mine and maybe having some engraving done on it to cover it up since its right on the edge of the first ring.  Guys these are beautiful, Wes does one heck of a job.  I have a steel and a bronze now.  Can't wait to get to work on the bed and a sled!

Wes please keep me posted on any other projects you might be taking on in the future, you have a customer for life buddy!

I'd sure love to have a bronze Mtn. Howitzer or one of those King's

Happy New Year!

Billy

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
Hey Billy, I'm glad you like it!!! Engraving would look Just Awsome on that shiny bronze barrel! What size Mtn Howitzer do ya want? I have the bronze for 1/4 and 1/3 scale. I'm still waighting for the info on the king howitzer from AOP.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »
If anyone is interested in engraving I have a GREAT engraving, former Colt Firearms master engraver KEN HURST.  Does outstanding work at a very fair price.

Now on the Mtn Howitzer, how big a bore would a 1/3 scale have?  I remember drooling over the real ones up in Big Hole MT.  Not a happy place but I couldn't spend enough time around the guns.

Email me and we'll talk!

Thanks again,

Billy

ANY suggestions for engraving?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »
Quote from: Medbill

ANY suggestions for engraving?

Great choice of person for engraving.

Engrave on it what YOU want on it.  

I once started/owned a guard agency - had to become licenced and bonded as a detective agency and had to carry a badge - as part of contracted guard services with a federal agency.  SO, I had engraved on MY badge what I WANTED on it.  It had the name of the company and for a title something most irreverent and not appropriate to post here.  Got LOTS of laughs from it then and in years since.

On the other hand, something historical may suit your fancy.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 06:43:29 PM »
Yes me too  !I am  interested in the details of a cannon like this Wes. What is the bore and the length as well ?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
A full size mountain howitzer barrel is 37" long and has a 12 pounder (4.62") bore.  So a half scale one is about 18.5" long and would have a 2.31" bore and a one third scale one would be about a foot long and have a 1.54" bore.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Medbill

• Avid Poster
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2006, 07:04:23 AM »
On the other hand, something historical may suit your fancy.

Exactly what I would like to do!  I will  have to come up with something to go along that edge.  Need to give Ken a call to see what he thinks can be done and if he's ever done a mortar before.  lol

Billy

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Beercan Mortar
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »
O.K. I lied ., I could'nt wait until I came back from the PH in May.,I got anxious. I needed to build a carriage for it., it just wasnt happy without some wood.

Wes I have gotten compliments on your mortar from everyone who has seen it...,and now my father who is in Arizona for the winter is showing the photos to every senior in the state. :-D  He is a little late starting but I think now he has the Cannon excitement starting in his own blood.  :shock:  Its hard raising a father and guiding them towards whats right  :grin:

P.S. I finally understand how to take a photo correctly.,note:GOEX

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Re: Beercan Mortar
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 05:57:40 PM »
Fire and Smoke[/color][/size]
This is a bit late but we sure had a good time.,4 of us (my friends) all have 1" cannons., we got together for a shoot at one of the friends 200 acres.

Anyway with the  1" bores I  fired my 1" sub scale 6 pounder and my  1" Yacht cannon and my 1" Brooks Dictator however the big hit of the day was our Bronze Beer can mortar.

This mortar shoots with more power than I was expecting., I cant be sure how far it went., no one had the energy to try to recover it from the forest we fired into., but it was the fastest beer I ever had ! about 7 seconds later we could hear branches breaking in the distance.

The Bronze rings very well indeed. Included is a video link of the mortar. Cheers !!!
http://www.tropico.ph/cannons/100_2639.MOV

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »
Way cool video Rich!!! I have another piece of Bronze laying around here some where ??? Wait, I'm to busy :(

Thanks for sharing, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline captkev

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:36 AM »
  I've only saw one shoot a golf ball a few times, but after that video :o I've gota get me one of those ;D

I've been reading other posts on this forum, and I've been reading here for over an hour.

Any tips for a beginer? I seen the top post in the list and went to a few of the links, but most were over $800.00   so for a guy just to get started with a small one, what should I expect to spend on the lower end?
Beep          Beep         Beep                 BeepBeep    Point!           "WOODCOCK"          *BANG*      "Dead bird"

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
Wish I could see the video but get a message that I don't have the software. Got the sound though.
Michael

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2006, 06:22:52 PM »
Michael Az I hope this works for you., I converted it for you into an mpg.., try this one and let me know you got it!
http://www.tropico.ph/cannons/Coehorn.mpg

You may have to right mouse click and save as ., but any windows should be able to run it
Rich

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Hey, that worked Rich, nice shoot! Beautiful mortar. That is the same sled I want to build for mine. I might ask you sometime to take some photos of the elevator screw. I have a print of the sled but not the screw.
Thanks
Michael

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2006, 06:55:41 AM »
Michael Az check out this thread

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,88765.msg536652.html#msg536652It has  some info about the elevator for you
Rich

Offline Michael Az

• Avid Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2006, 08:28:36 AM »
Thanks for that Tripoco, that answered my questions. I was wondering if the screw just rubbed the barrel or not. Looks like that is the setup. I have a good assortment of acme rod and nuts.
Thanks again!
Michael