Author Topic: Pre hunt checklist  (Read 637 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Pre hunt checklist
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »
Okay, this may sound like too simple of a question, but I would like to get other's input on neccessary gear to take in the field and what to bring but leave in the truck/camp and what really isn't neccessary.

I ask this because I have never hunted on public land alone. I have hunted mostly with guides or on ranches where most things are taken care of by the guide. Now, I am planning a hunt on public land here in FL and I have a good idea what to, and not to, bring. But I thought I would ask those who have first hand experience to prevent any mistakes or to prevent a terrible trip.

Thanks for the input!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pre hunt checklist
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
I am a great believer in list.  And after every trip, the list is refined.  Stuff added and stuff deleted.  But there is no "one size fits all".  Your lists are for you.  I would start out with a blank tablet and try to visualize everything I might need for the trip (the list will vary with quarry and type of trip) Needless to say, the first two items are 1. rifle, 2. ammo.  And then it goes on to 3. hunting knife, 4. fire starter, and so forth. 
Divide the list into absolute got to have items and nice to have items.  A chair with a back feels mighty good at the end of a long day but if space is at a premium, you gotta leave the chair home.  A cot is nice but I'd rather sleep on the ground with a ground sheet and an air mattress and have the chair if I have to make a choice.This is stuff you need to decide.
Refine your list as hunting time approaches. And, if I am going into the way back, a couple of weeks before I leave, I'll designate a corner or room and start accumulating the stuff there.  And checking it off the list as I do.  4:00am with your buddies out front blowing the horn is not the time to be looking for your hunting boots.
The type and length of the trip is what drives the list but some things always go with me.  One of the little emergency blankets (cigarette pack size), a couple of large heavy duty garbage bags (they make a job site sized bag that is extra heavy). The bags make dandy rain parkas and in a pinch a sleeping bag or shelter.  A GAP wind jacket.  A compass, the real kind, not a gps.  If available, a topo map of the area I'll be hunting.  a couple of candy bars. extras not part of my lunch.  a pair of surgical gloves for use in cleaning game. small rope. paper towels (in lieu of T paper. They're more versatile) I carry few things in my pockets and even less hanging on my belt, but prefer to use a small day pack. 

Offline rvtrav

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »
 the way I start my list is at the deer and I work backwards;

I start at what I've gotta do when I get the deer down, and get it back to the truck, thenI go back from there.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 05:31:49 PM »
Checklist for Hunters and Survival Kit Items:

Preseason Checklist

Purchase hunting licenses

Secure landowners permission

Take hunter safety courses

Preseason scouting

Get physically fit

Sight-in rifle

Schedule vacation time

Vehicle maintenance

Camp repair

Purchase or reload ammunition

Clothing Checklist

Check weather report for proper dress

Hat (Be sure it has the required amount  of fluorescent orange)

Coat

Jacket

Vest

Pants

Shirts

Sweater

Boots

Extra socks

Rain Gear

Face Mask

Field Gear and Accessories

Knife sharpened
 Flashlight and batteries
 Drag rope
 License and holder
 Pencil string or plastic tie down for tagging
 Field dressing kit
 Compass
 Topo map
 Masking scents
 Deer/Turkey calls
 Water bottle
 Thermos
 Survival kit  See separate listing
 First-Aid kit
 Whistle
 Hunter's seat cushion
 Tree stand (with safety belt)
 Hand warmers
 Daypack with lunch and snacks
 Personal Checkpoints

Prescription medicine
 Wallet with ID money and credit cards
 Keys to camp, gun cabinet, and extra vehicle keys
 Leave details of your hunting itinerary with your family
 Cellular phone if possible

After the Hunt

Mail in harvest report card (if you got lucky!)

Process deer, turkey, etc.

Taxidermy arrangements (hope you saved some money!)

Clean and store all your gear

If you hunted on private property share you harvest with the landowner and send the landowner a thank-you note.

18 THINGS TO PUT IN A SURVIVAL KIT

2 BandAids
 Peroxide swabs
 Iodine swabs
 1 Triangular BandAid
 Small bag with 10 bullion cubes
 1 Bottle water purifying tablets
 Matches in a water tight bag (Ziploc bags work great!)
 5-Feet of aluminum foil folded tightly
 Small knife
 Hot Sparks Kit in case you run out matches
 1 Fire starter stick
 Small strip of marking tape
 Salt
 2 Survival candles (Emergency Candles)
 Assorted hooks
 20-Feet of fishing line
 Assorted split shot
 2 or 3 Spinners or small lures
1/5 bourbon

delete or add..just a starting point

my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 03:11:37 AM »
I know its a little early maybe but you night try a few times on some mini hunts (scounting) in the areas you plan to be in during the hunting season, draw on your guided hunts you have been on and try to remember what the guides had with them also as most carry what can be used for muti purpose projects, I hunt mostly anymore on my own property but I still take with me a day pack or small backpack with the basic Items that make it a little more comfortable in the field, included are just a couple basic bandaids for minor cuts, flashlight with fresh batteries, small snack, water and a smaller extra knife, compass, and has stated b-4 several sheets of paper towels stored in a plastic bag for the moment when it arives and it will arive and wet paper towels from a rain wont do what you want it to do, and a good quality compass to use b-4 you go into woods not after you are turned around, some extra heavy twine or small rope can always become handy for making brush blinds or just windbreaks in the event you do have to spend some extra time in foul weather, you will see several items being listed draw from all of them as we all have our likes and dislikes as to what needs to go along, and you will get a sound idea as to what you need and dont need ;D  JIM

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 03:38:33 PM »
That's a great start guys, thanks. I will be going out to the WMA a few times before actually hunting the area. I'll start a list, bring it with me each time I go and refine it as I go.

Thanks.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:51 AM »
1 more to add to the list. Toilet Paper.  Walking back to the truck with only one sock only happened to me once. :o

WyleKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
I'd probably walk back without my shirt! Point well taken.

Thanks.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »
1. You're going to hunt Florida.  It stays warm a long time here (Native knowledge).  It might be cool in the dark AM, but it will be hot by 10:00 AM. 
2. No-See-Ums and mosquitos are an inevitable PITA.  Use permethrin spray on your clothes.  It KILLS probing insects and doesn't drive off deer. 
3. You can become disoriented PDQ in the swamp where everything looks the same.  Take a compass.  You can't get lost with a compass in hand. 
4. Water is a must!  Use a 32 oz. Gatoraid bottle to pee in and another to take fresh water in.  Don't forget which is which.  Dump the pee bottle near the truck or directly in a stream. 
5. A piece of light weight duck blind camo will aid you to "hide".  Use clothes pins to hang it up.
6. Take a poncho to protect from rain.  Just in case.
7. A piece of foam or inflatable seat to sit on is mighty comfortable in comparison to the expanded metal seat of a climber or fixed tree stand.
8. Tell someone where you are going to be and when to expect you back.
9. If uncertain, mark you trail in with pieces of hanging tape every 25 yards.  Someone else might follow you in, but hey, two's company, right?
10. Take a radio.  The 1-2 mile hand helds are great. 
11. A headlamp flashlight will be a big help in the AM darkness and in the PM if searching for wounded or lost game.
12. Toilet paper is a must.
13. All of the above will fit in a standard backpack, weighs less than 15#, and can be carried all day.
14. Have fun.