Author Topic: USH rate of twist...and other questions.  (Read 613 times)

Offline ranchand99

• Trade Count: (0)
USH rate of twist...and other questions.
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:10 AM »
I am new to the slug gun scene,but have been researching for over a year.I thought the USH rate of twist was 1:34,but I see one member who has an "LE" with a 1:28 twist.How do you get one of the faster rate twist barrels?I can't seem to find the "LE" option anywhere on the H&R website..

I am wanting a 1:28 barrel since I have heard that it will shoot the 1900fps+ slugs better than the 1:34 barrel.

The gun I am thinking about getting is a 20ga USH deluxe w/3-9x44 tasco world class plus,and 10 boxes of rem copper solids.The guy said he has only shot it 10 times to sight it in,and never took it hunting.I think it's a good deal for only $275.I was going to get a 12ga,but if this is a good deal I'll get it.So my last question is..Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: USH rate of twist...and other questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Welcome ranchand99,

You must be talking about my "LE"? It is a Limited Edition with the medallion in the stock, nothing special really, just has a NEF receiver and looks like the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe sans the checkering. 

All the 20 ga have a 1-28" twist, the 12 ga is 1-35" in the H&R/NEF slug guns. Do you know how old the gun is? The second lettter in the serial # will let you know the year of manufacture.

HR = 2001, HS = 2002, HT = 2003, HU = 2004, HV = 2005, HW = 2006

You can continue backwards, but they do not use O's or Q's in the serial numbers, so HP = 2000, HN = 1999, HM = 1998 etc,.

If the gun is in good condition, with the scope and slugs, I would say it is a fair deal as long as the scope is something you like. You can buy a new one in my area for about $260 full bore retail, so you are going to have to make the call. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline ranchand99

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:23 AM »
COOL!Thanks Busta!Yes I was refering to you,and actually I read another poster had a 1:28 barrel.I was hoping for the 1:28 twist.

I don't really want to stick with the copper solids,but he's throwing 10 boxes of them in with the deal.I usually prefer Winchester ammo.I like the looks of the Partition Gold,and Hornady's SST.I think I'll get it.Thanks for the help!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
Here is another one in the H&R/NEF Classifieds. The guy is in Ohio and would like to sell it face to face, just in case you live in that area. He started at $300 and lowered it to $250.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,95340.0.html

You might be able to get the other one you are looking at for less to? You could always offer $250 or so, the worst he can say is no. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member