Author Topic: Outboard oil  (Read 550 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Outboard oil
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »
I am not an Amsoil salesman and I don't know anyone who is.

I've been using Amsoil's 2 cycle outboard oil for about a year now and like it. It's for my 15 horse Johnson that is specified to take 50:1 premix. The Amsoil product is synthetic and mixes 100:1, which means less pollution. I wanted to try the synthetic because it may be two weeks between starts for my outboard and I wanted synthetic oil that sticks to the metal better than petroleum oil.

You may want to check it out. They've got a table that helps you figure out what oil is best for your motor.
Safety first

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Outboard oil
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:34:22 AM »
I used to run Amsoil and their filters in my Harley.  I liked it.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »
I like the idea of using the best products out there to keep my stuff around a long time but there are a great deal of issues that will always keep people from buying into Amsoil.

1. The stuff is just too hard to find.  Until the big stores have it, I want use it.
2. I refuse to mailorder oil.  The shipping charges are enough to steer most people away.  If it is so good, then why don't they sell it like all other oil?
3.I have a 1984 Mercury 115 that has thousands of hours on it.  It has had nothing but cheap Quakerstate and  Walmart oil the last 15 years.  Oil is oil. 

I'm not attacking AMSoil, I just don't think the benefits of using it out weigh the cost of mailorder. 

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
pennz
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 04:30:32 AM »
I have been using Pennzoil 100% synthetic lately in my 60hp Merc. I believe I get greater top end speed and power.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:42:21 AM »
I really don't think that their oil or standard filters are any better than any other reputable company makes.  I used it but I don't know that it was any better.  I like their bypass filter system they have for cars.  They have a standard filter and then an ultra fine filter that can't handle the flow so they bypass some of the oil thru it, I think 5 or 10%, and send most of it thru the standard.  The idea being that every few minutes all of your oil gets filtered thru ultra fine one and the really small particles that act like lapping compound don't settle into your bearings.

I've just read the sales pitch, don't know how well it works in the real world.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »
I am still running a 1978 Skeeter bass boat with a Mercury XR-2 (150 jacked up to about a 175hp) I bought the boat and motor new, the only oil I have ever used is the Merc oil.  The reason I stick with the Merc oil,  my friend that owns the marina where I bough the boat advised me to use it.  His idea of boat oil is like my idea of oil for a vehicle, stick with what you start with.

My friend did not, and still does not carry Mecury motors, I special ordered the boat/motor through his dealership with the Mecury motor.  His motor of choice is the Evenrude.  My old Mercury has been in most every major lake in five states, it has well over 300 hours of running and other that routine maintence has never given me a problem even though I only know one way to push her, hammer down and trim up.  Most of our area lakes are almost dry so she doesn't hit the water as often as I would like today.

Good fishing...........