Author Topic: Any good lube recipes ?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline jon f

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Any good lube recipes ?
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:53:27 AM »
I need a good  lube recipe  for use with blackpowder in my 50/70. Any ideas?
The mould is a Lee .515-450-F
Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »
http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm  post this on cast boolits.com and you will get some info

Offline MLR

Offline jon f

• Avid Poster
Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:12:31 AM »
Thanks Guy's looks like I'll be busy for quite some time.
Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Lube
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 06:01:17 AM »
Jon, I've been using Paul Matthews "Shows Promise" lube for some time, and it's real easy to make and works well. Here it is:

8 oz Yellow Beeswax
4 fl oz Pure Neatsfoot Oil
1 cake (3 .5 oz) Neutrogena Facial Soap

1) melt the beeswax over a low fire or microwave
2) stir in the neatsfoot oil until lumpfree
3) cut the soap into fine peels, then add to the melted mixture.

Don’t boil the mixture. A very sticky bullet lube.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:48:40 AM »
Quote from: jon f
I need a good  lube recipe  for use with blackpowder in my 50/70. Any ideas?
The mould is a Lee .515-450-F

I've been using Wolf's basic recipe for quite a few years. I use it with BP and smokeless 45/70 loads up through 1400 and with smokeless handgun loads up through 1100 fps. I also use it in my TC Blk Mtn Magnum .50 cal to lube REALs and Maxi-Balls (350 gr cast 1-16 at 1525 fps). I've had no leading with any of them.

BP Lube

In a small sauce pan filled about 1/3 with water place a small (pint size) Pyrex measuring cup with the handle over the edge of the pan. Pour in 4 oz of virgin olive oil and place on an electric stove to heat up. I bring the water to just short of boiling (this set up is referred to as a “double boiler”). Add pure beeswax until there is 9 oz of melted mixture in the Pyrex cup. I stir it with a wood tongue depressor.  This makes a 4 – 5 part mix (olive oil to beeswax).  Of course larger amounts may be made but adjust the amounts to maintain the 4-5 part mix.

The melted lube may be poured into the reservoir of a lube/sizer. It will cool and harden in short order and is immediately useable. I leave the remainder of the mix in the Pyrex cup (wife made me buy her a new one after the first use) and store it in a quart Ziploc bag (keeps it clean). When more lube is needed just put the Pyrex cup with lube into the sauce pan of water and melt it on the electric stove again. It is useable this way until the mix is depleted or you add more beeswax and olive oil (in the proper 4-5 proportion) to make more.

With some bullets I hand lube them while watching a good movie on TV. I cut the wood tongue depressor at a 45 degree angle on one end making a sort of knife edge. I scrape a small amount off the cold lube mix and roll it between my thumb and fore finger. The lube becomes soft and malleable very quickly. It is then rubbed into the lube grooves on the bullets. I can usually do a couple hundred REALs or Maxi-Balls during a John Wayne flick. A couple paper towels control any messy fingers to keep the wife happy. I prefer this method over the pan lube method as I find that pretty messy. However, this lube works well with the pan lube method.

I have found this simple and easy to make lube to be every bit as effective as any of the witchcraft brews often recommended. I’ve also found it as good as SPG. I’ve not found any difference in the bore fouling using this lube with BP as with any other lube. The fouling remains as soft for as long as the others. Accuracy with this lube is also the equal of any others. I recommend it because it is easy to make out of inexpensive components and it works.

Larry Gibson

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 12:49:16 AM »
For my bp I use 50% bees wax & 50% Virgin Olive Oil. That’s for my front stuffer.

For my hunting pistol loads I use 60% Bees Wax 30% Virgin Olive Oil 10% Paraffin Wax.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline targetshootr

• Avid Poster
Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 05:00:17 PM »
I have a similar question. I have about a dozen sticks of lube that is too sticky so I would like to make it firmer. I bought some beeswax to add to it but I'm not sure how much of each would be right. 50-50 sound good? Here's a link to a pic of the lube:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/Im002490.jpg

Offline Smokin Joe

Lube
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »
I think I'd start at about 20% and see how it works. It's real easy to get it too hard.

Offline targetshootr

• Avid Poster
Any good lube recipes ?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »
Ok l'll try 20% to start. Should I use olive oil too?

Offline Smokin Joe

Lube
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »
Nope

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 03:15:45 PM »
This is a recipe an oldtimer gave me years ago. I have been using it for about 25 years now on 357mag., 38 special, 4570, 3030 gas check and plain bullets, and 45acp. The 4570s are wheel weights in a 405gr bullet at 1750fps, the 3030s are 170gr gas check wheel weights at 2400fps and the 357mag is wheel weights at 158gr at 1700fps in a rifle. NO LEADING at all. It consists of 1 pound of parafin, 1 pound of vasoline, 1 table spoon of something like STP motor oil additive, and I usually will throw several old crayons in it for color. I melt it all in an empty coffee can. Run it thru a Lyman sizer-lubricator with excellent results. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 09:01:13 AM »
  certain lubes will foul your bore worse than bare lead,so be carefull. Some  good smopkeless lubes are crap when used with black powder. :-[  They turn into a tarry goo.beeen there, done it!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »
Bee's wax and olive oil.  Adjust consistancy by varying the amount of either.  If it's too thin for what you're doing, remelt and add wax. Too thick reheat and add oil.  1 part wax and 3 parts oil is a good ratio for my use.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt