Author Topic: Lee mold  (Read 1234 times)

Offline blackpowdernut

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee mold
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:55:36 PM »
What is a good lube to use on a LEE mold? I have to order the lee lube and wait for it's arrival. Cann't hardly wait to get started.

Offline Rick N Bama

Re: Lee mold
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:42:48 AM »
Included with your new mold you'll find instructions for it's care.  Lee suggest the use of bullet lube and that's what I use on mine.  Just get a bit on the tip of a toothpick and apply it to the sprueplate screw and to the locator pins.  Be careful, it only takes a small amount.  It's best to lube the mold after you get it warmed up.

So don't keep us in the dark, what mold are you buying?  Be real careful, they have a way of multiplying like rabbits:)

Rick 

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:14:48 AM »
LBT's mold lube is the best I have seen.  It has graphite in a waxy suspension, and the wax burns off leaving the graphite to provide lube.  LBT's catalog is available in the sponsors list.  I have quite a few LEE molds, and noticed a real gain in mold life when I started using the LBT stuff.  It's pretty cheap, and lasts a long time.  Hope this helps.

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:41:40 AM »
You might look up Lee's Liquid Alox and give it a try on the cheap.

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
You don't want to try using the liquid alox to lube the mould. Keep it for the bullets! Lee says to use a stick of 50/50 on the mould, I just use a small chunk of beeswax on mine. Just touch the sprue plate pivot, the alignment pins, and the underside of the sprue plate and you're set. Do this often when it starts to get sticky and it won't gall. Be sparing and don't get the wax into the cavity. Don't wait too long or the mould will tear itself up from galling on top.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline 454PB

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
I've been using Lee moulds since they first hit the market, and I own about 20 of them. I did the lubing as instructed by Lee for the first 5 years or so, and got the resulting buildup of carbonized crud. So....I quit lubing them all together. I've found that using the proper technique, it's not necessary. I use my hardwood knocker to align the block halves as I close them, and it works perfectly for me. Some of my moulds have cast 5,000 bullets and are still going strong.