Author Topic: forming flat point bullets from commercial 8mm's  (Read 1324 times)

Offline hazmt

• Trade Count: (0)
forming flat point bullets from commercial 8mm's
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »
Hello all -

I lurk here from time to time and enjoy your discussions. After several weeks of searching, I thought I would make better use of my time and ask the experts!

I have a new to me French Lebel R35 Carbine that I am trying to work up loads for. However, the bullet situation for 8mm's is kinda limited. Due to the design of this rifle (tubular magazine), I need a flat point .323 diameter bullet. The French made up for this problem by making an annular ring round the primer of their Military 8mm lebel ammo. Since I am utilizing 348 Winchester brass, I have no way to create this ring. So my only option is to find a flat point 8mm bullet.

The closest commercially-made bullet I've found is the 170gr Round-nose made by Hornady. Since this isn't a flat point design, is there any easy way to consistently re-point these to be flat points?

Though interested in the swaging process, I have too many other hobbies to get starting down an expensive avenue like this. I have several reloading presses including an old Herter's "H" type heavy that I can use if I can find a point forming die. Does anyone here know of a flat point- forming die that I can use with my reloading presses?

Thanks!

Hazmt

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
forming flat point bullets from commercial
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:48:34 PM »
Under certain conditions a pointed bullet can be reshaped to the same caliber, different point, in a point forming (PF) die. Usually this involves drawing it to .005" or so below it's specified diameter, and then dropping it into the PF die and cycling the handle. A good bullet die maker can tell you if it's possible if you can tell him what brand/nose shape you'll be using as the parent, and what nose shape you want to attain. If it's a 'go' he'll ask you to provide 10-15 rounds as test bullets, and then take the usual 8-14 months to make the die. ( yes... you have to get in line, and each die does take a long time just by itself).
  CH/4D can probably make the bullet reducing die you'll need within 6 weeks or so, but I doubt if they can fabricate a .323" PF FN die. I suspect that RCE could, and would do it in a reloading press type die form if you would accept that it probably wouldn't be guaranteed to do anything other than produce FN bullets from factory made pointed ones. Call Richard at RCE and get the story from 'THE' expert.
 A much easier way is to have some swager make you a 8mm 4S or 6S bullet about 15 grains heavier than you want with a big Lead Tip, and just file the tip flat at about .25"d. A 4S or 6S PF die is quite common. 8)

Offline Drilling Man

forming flat point bullets from commercial
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »
If the RN design has enough lead showing to cover the primer completely, why not just use them as RN's????

RN design bullets have been used in tube mags for a very long time or is that not possible in this particular firearm???

Drilling Man

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
gotta hack saw?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:15:44 AM »
I hate to be too crude, but I doubt that this Lebel is going to win any matches. SO, why not take any suitable 8mm bullet and just saw the end off? Actually I suspect a coping saw or other fine toothed blade would be more suitable and if you do it carefully, you should maintain approx. equal weight. And the amount you cut off determines the size of the "flat" of the end of the  bullet.

the other option is the custom bullet makers at swage.com. I doubt that you will want to bear the costs... luck

Offline Dan Cash

Re: forming flat point bullets from commercial 8mm's
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:56:14 PM »
iiranger has the best idea, cut off the round nose to make it flat. 

I do this with .45-70 rounds to use in my Marlin LA.  It saves me having a second mould and I get a premium cast bullet that works in my LA and my Sharps.

After loading the round, I bored a hole in a wooden block that holds the cartridge parallel to the saw table (chop saw) and lets the projectile extend from the block.  I makde an adjustable stop that is fastened to the saw table so that overall length can be precicely controlled.  It takes about 10 minutes to set up the saw and process 50 rounds.  Works great and meplat is square to the bullet base.  Bullets group under 1 in at 100 yds.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
fmj
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 02:21:21 AM »
Dan

Have you tried this with fmj bullets?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
No, not for fmj bullets...
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »
Many years ago when the WW II nastiest was over and everyone had tons of .30/'06 cheap, some tried this and shot the core out of the bullet and left the jacket in the barrel and the next shot ringed the barrel... You said, "commercial" so I thought of soft points where this would not matter... I repeat that suggestion, but cannot make it for fmj bullets where, basically, the jacket is on the other way... luck

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Re: forming flat point bullets from commercial 8mm's
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »
Have you considered shooting .321 bullets made for the .32 Winchester Special?

A lot of us shoot .311s in a .303 British, and some of those bores are .314.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!