Author Topic: Do 45/70's lead up a lot?  (Read 495 times)

Offline corelokt308win

• Trade Count: (0)
Do 45/70's lead up a lot?
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:33 AM »
I just recieved the 45/70 I traded my 204 for.  It was leaded in the first few inches of the bore something fierce.  I scrubbed it with FP10, then Birchwood Casey super concentrated copper and nitro solvent, and finally scrubbed it for over an hour with JB Bore compound before it came fully clean.  Is this typical, a sign of neglect by the original owner, or a rough bore?  It looks smooth now.  None of this really matters as I'll keep and use this barrel now that I've got it fitted, but I am curious.
If life is a beach, why am I so crabby?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Do 45/70's lead up a lot?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:59:42 AM »

They can if not cleaned regularly or if the bore is rough..I use primaraly jacketed bullets..and as a result get mostly copper fouling..but with my cleaning practices..this isn't a problem. Go shoot it and see if the lead deposits come back quickly..if so..you may have to polish the bore more..or shoot a bunch of copper instead of lead to smooth it out..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:38:13 PM »
I shot some 95gr T7 loads with 500gr cast bullets in my .45-120 when I first got it, they leaded up pretty bad, and that was after I polished the bore, so if you shoot em too hot, they're gonna lead the bore regardless of bore condiition. I only shoot gas checked or jacketed bullets bullets, that eliminates the issue. If you stick with black powder velocities, you'll probably be fine.

I just happened to shoot some 525gr BTB Piledrivers today at 1690-1700fps today, extremely good accuracy at 200yds. ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hdj2520

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:53 AM »
YOU MIGHT TRY FIRE-LAPPING .....