Author Topic: Win 1300 20 gauge smoothbore and slugs. Need help.  (Read 734 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Win 1300 20 gauge smoothbore and slugs. Need help.
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:49:21 PM »
I own a Win 1300 20 gauge. Love the gun. Patterns fine with just about any shot I've bothered to try. Slugs are another manner. I simply cannot get this gun to group shots. At a measured 50 yards the "pattern" with Win Super X foster type slugs is in feet not inches. I've tried an expensive set of adjustable (windage and elevation) front and rear sights that clamped onto the rib. I ran out of elevation adjustment before I could see if it grouped worth a hoot. I don't need a rifled bore and sabots. I shoot slugs at bow hunting ranges. I strongly prefer 20 gauge for all my shotgun shooting needs. It has worked well except for this. I had an NEF that would shoot slugs fine but alas I sold it hoping to get this Win to work. If I can figure this out it would be the perfect gun for my needs. Any tips or ideas. I also cannot find a rifled 20 gauge slug barrel ANYWHERE! So that's out.

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:04:44 AM »
Do you have choke tubes? I have found a modified choke and Winchester slugs work great for me. Try moving in to 25 yards, if you group nice and tight check Brownells for a taller front sight.

Offline woodswatcher

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:19:43 PM »
the number one thing to do when looking at slug accuracy is to try several brands of slugs..

their is a wide deviation of slug VS barrel matching.

buy a few boxes of every brand you can find. chances are 1 kind will shoot fairly well.

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
I may be mistaken on this but I think the 1300 is back- or over-bored. I remember when I picked up my 12 gauge 1300 that the salesman mentioned to me that it would not shoot slugs w/ the field barrel. One other potential option to try and locate a used 1200 slug barrel in 20 gauge on gunbroker.com etc since the barrels are compatible.

Offline woodswatcher

Re: Win 1300 20 gauge smoothbore and slugs. Need help.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »
my 1300 black shadow with a modified choke and R/S shoots 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 75 yards routinely with standard winchester slugs.

you have to pay your dues..and find the sweet spot in the mixture.