Author Topic: open sights  (Read 847 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
open sights
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
i think hooded front sights with V notch rear are the best open sights for hunting. i had them on my 8mm and never needed a scope.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: open sights
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
Well I think they are very poor. The hood keeps light from hitting the site blade and makes it harder to see in daylight, dark woods is even worse. The V noch rear sight with a post front sight would be a nighmare to line up. I assume your using a bead front sight? That would help some. The best sight I ever used was a bead front with the hood thrown away and an aperature rear with the insert taken out. That set up you'll be able to see thru the aperature very well, the front sight gets a lot of light and the aperature will gather the highest consentration of light at the exact center drawing your eye and the front sight to it naturally. If you like open sights you ought to find one on a rifle already and see if you can try it, you'll be amazed!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 03:26:52 AM »
The various Army rifle teams use a set-up similar to what Don discribes to shoot 1000 yard matches. I understand that they can shoot possibles at that distance. 
Using the peep sights, as Don said, your eye is drawn to the center of the peep so you only have to line up two things, front sight and target, instead of three, rear notch, front sight, target.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:38:11 AM »
The peep sight is just great unless you have to use it in a very low light situation.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:31:26 AM »
I have 'squared' the rear V notch sight on all my Muasers and installed 'square' Swedish front blades.  This gives me a much better sight picture but my eyes are older and need something that stands out like that.  I have also used a Tang rear sight with two different rear peeps and they are pretty good in the field.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:32:28 AM »
My favorite hard sight combination for hunting is a peep rear, sometimes as a ghost ring with no aperture, or with a twilight aperture, depending on hunting conditions and time of day. It's a nice option to be able to change apertures on the hunt! ;)  Best front sight is a fiber optic "Firesight".

I'd like to add that any type of barrel mounted open sight isn't an option for my old eyes, been down that road, had to keep moving the rear sight farther and farther down the barrel to keep it in focus. :'(

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=138356

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 07:30:16 PM »
The peep sight is just great unless you have to use it in a very low light situation.

With open sights thats where it really shines. The trick is to remove the insert and no hood over the front sight. No matter how low the light, your eye will still be drawn to the center of the aperature as that is the strongest consentration of light. With the insert removed, you hardly notice the rear sight.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]