Author Topic: .243 rechamber to 6rem?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline handyman06

• Trade Count: (0)
.243 rechamber to 6rem?
« on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
anyone know if there is enough meat in a .243 chamber to ream to 6mm remington? nothing wrong with .243 its just that i already have dies and brass for 6mm. thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .243 rechamber to 6rem?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »
Doesn't look like it would work to me, the .243 is bigger at the shoulder. :(

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handyman06

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »
thanks tim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
Now if there was a 6mm AI?  It might do it. but don't know if it exists.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:03:23 PM »
Tim:
6mmAI? Didn't we have a discussion on the feasibility of a rimless AI case in Handi a few months ago?
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:11:31 PM »
Yes, I vaquely remember it, and the .22-.243 and .243 Middlestead, but without the search feature, it would be hard to refer to, maybe if Matt gets it fixed soon, I'll retrieve it and post links to the thread.

Tim

Offline handyman06

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 08:52:04 AM »
hey an A.I. would work for me if i could necksize only after forming the brass, so as not to necessitate new dies. i have read that necksizing should only be done in boltguns, but don't see where you could run into trouble in a S.S., anybody have real world experiance? thanks for the great info!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:01:57 AM »
Not an AI, but I necksize in my .338-06 A-Square, not a problem so far. Read my next reply on my .280AI thread.

Tim

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:13 AM »
the barrel has to be set-back for a .243 Win' to clean-up when re-chambering to 6mm Rem'.   it's a great change for a bolt gun; it's not an easy job with a Handi'.    the 6mm Rem' Improved (of one variant or another) should be doable, however.   even so, the use of factory-loaded 6mm' Rem' would not be an option in this new chamber because there would be no 'crush' built into it like there is with the setback of a bolt action barrel.........

you cannot take standard 6mm Rem' dies and use them to necksize an Improved 6mm because the dies are too narrow at the shoulder,etc.etc......    your standard 6mm dies would have to be opened up with the same reamer that is used for the chamber.   BUT, that gives you one heck of a set-up with a die that is cut by the same reamer used on the chamber.   the tightness of the neck may not be changeable in the new chamber unless going with longer brass like the .30-06, but the headspace and the shoulder-setback built into the die would make for long-lived brass (if the brass is good to start with).   it'll cost you to have both the chamber and the die done; but you may wind up with one of the most accurate rifles around.   

if you achieve this re-chambering there is still potential for one more significant problem if you use .30-06 brass to achieve a custom fit of the case neck in the chamber........the dreaded "donut" will occur with this setup.   ....and outside neck turning to achieve case neck thickness that is consistent will probably be necessary!   

www.redding-reloading.com has a 'tech line and tips' icon that will then allow you to select 'advanced case forming....'.    this will tell you about 'donuts' and a good deal more.

sorry, but it's really a pain to do it in a Handi' compared to a bolt gun.

ss'   

it would be cheaper to throw those 6mm' dies in the trash or on the auction block.   that way you'll cut your losses........ >:(

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.