Author Topic: Bite my tongue!  (Read 1004 times)

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bite my tongue!
« on: April 07, 2003, 01:55:11 AM »
Esteemed Board

I recently posted that C&B, or was it Colt, hammer springs are strong enough to reliably pop caps.  I've made aquaintance with a Pietta Sheriff's model that sets them on one strike and pops them on the next strike, most of the time.  Sometimes it pops them on the first strike.  I've stripped it down, and everything is tight.  The spring looks weak!  Just a strip of steel that doesn't even look like good spring steel, as if I would know the difference.

Is there something I can do to this one? I thought about increasing the angle on the brass mount, that would increase the stress on the spring.  The problem is that it would also decrease the depth of the screw hole, and there's no extra depth to that.   Does someone make (and obviously sell) a reliably good replacement spring?  I hesitate e-mailing Pietta, afraid I'd just get another like this one.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Bite my tongue!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 03:50:24 AM »
No, I ain't gonna bite yer tongue; it's unsanitary, an' besides, we ain't that close.
Go ahead and email Pietta; they should send you a new one for free. If it's the same story, what have you lost?
You might try a longer strain screw, and filing the notch to accommodate it, but that's a judgement call.
Now that I think of it, I don't rightly recall whether these puppies have strain screws or not...I would think they must.
You might also try shaving down the nipples a tad...just enough to let the caps seat with firm finger pressure.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline Flint

bite
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 05:23:47 AM »
Try a real Colt spring.  The heat treat is much better on the Colt part than the Italian springs.  I replace many of my Italian springs with Colt parts.  Sometimes the tip has to be shortened, as repro Colts all seem to have smaller gripframes than the original Colt.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
Bite my tongue!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 10:32:26 AM »
Put a thin washer (shim) between spring and frame to see if that increases the impact.  If it really is an inferior spring, it might have taken a "set" but also may allow a little straightening without breaking.  Measure end to end, place in a vise and gently squeeze until it's longer after releasing the vise pressure.  Be warned this could well result in a broken spring.  If you have the skill, you could also heat, harden and retemper it.  If all else fails, I would get a spring from a Peacemaker, which should fit fine and perform well.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Bite my tongue!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 10:37:52 AM »
I have a Pietta, under the Traditions label. My spring broke. I called the number for Traditions and they sent me a new one free, no questions asked. Now, the first spring worked fine, it popped all caps. The new spring is a real bull, it felt too strong. I ground it down with the belt sander and it works fine.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Flint

springs
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 11:03:18 AM »
Another thought, Wolf (Wolff?) springs are offered for Colts and clones, with part numbers for Uberti and Pietta, etc.  They have several strengths, both lighter and heavier than stock.   www.gunsprings.com
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Bite my tongue!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 01:59:46 AM »
Of course, Wolff, now why didn't I think of them?  Da da DUMB!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!