Author Topic: Bushnell Red Dot...  (Read 419 times)

Offline lovedogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bushnell Red Dot...
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:47:54 PM »
Just mounted a Bushnell 1X30 Trophy Red Dot sight on one of my Contender .44's.  Seems like a good unit.  Anyone have experience with this sight?  Would appreciate any comments you may have.  I like the idea of a lifetime warranty as opposed to most others that only have a year.  Heck, you can almost hold your breath that long!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Bushnell Red Dot...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:54:09 AM »
Just mounted a Bushnell 1X30 Trophy Red Dot sight on one of my Contender .44's.  Seems like a good unit.  Anyone have experience with this sight?  Would appreciate any comments you may have.  I like the idea of a lifetime warranty as opposed to most others that only have a year.  Heck, you can almost hold your breath that long!

I had one on my model 629 44 Mag and blew out the red-dot, I had about 200 rounds before it let loose. I have tried a lot of red-dots and found the Ultra-dot to give me the best performance, even on my 460 and 500 Mags. Hope your Bushnell works out for you.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:16:38 AM »
I've had no trouble with my 2 Bushnell Red Dot's, but one is on a 44 mag Handi rifle and the other on a Ruger Mark III 22 Target pistol. May try one on my 460 Encore pistol, that will show if they have a weakness........... ::)

Offline lovedogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:25:18 PM »
Thanks for come-backs.  Hey, Redhawk 1...  Which model Bushnell did you blow the dot on?  Before I bought this 1X30 Trophy I called Bushnell and asked them about several things.  They told me the cheaper Sportsman wouldn't stand up to .44 recoil but the Trophy would.  Did they warranty yours?

I've not shot a S&W .44 for decades.  In the past it seemed to me that they were real kickers.  Perhaps by now they've changed their grips, weight, etc. and they're easier on the hand and optics.

As stated, this Red Dot is on a Contender, a Super 14.  It's wearing a Decelerator grip, also.  That cushions recoil to my hand but probably doesn't do much for the optics riding on top of the barrel.  Personally, I don't think it kicks that bad.  I've shot .357's that were worse.  This .44 is one of my favorites.  It's more accurate than I thought any pistol round in a straight case would be.  It approaches rifle velocities.  It's just a sweet deer slayer within its range limitations.  I'd always shot jacketed bullets in it until this summer.  I got a new Saeco mould and tried some cast lead and it shoots those good, too.  The jacketed will shoot just over an inch at 100 and the cast will still stay under 2 inches.  I don't plan on shooting anything over 100 yds. with it so that's all the accuracy that's required.