Author Topic: Linksys Router Connection Problem  (Read 1634 times)

TM7

Linksys Router Connection Problem
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
What's the problem..? Simply can't get it to work either wireless or ethernet connection.
I'm a broadband with modem guy. Computors hooked directly to the modem connect OKay.
Need to hook 2nd computor to broadband using Linksys router, and no good using wired or wireless hookup. Went thru instructions pretty well.
How can I check if the router is functioning OK, or in initiated/setup right?
And how I do I find out if my wireless card is turned on and functioning Okay as well?   
Any other advice is welcome.  Usually router hookup is pretty simple.. ???

.....TM7

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Linksys Router Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
I had a really hard time getting a lynksis wireless setup to work, tried customer service about a hundred times and still couldn't get it, finally brought it back to the store. Hope someone here can help you.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:34:57 AM »
With the linksys, you need the start up CD.

I've had d-links, netgear, belkin, and linksys.  I fought to get the linksys to work, then put in the CD and it came to life.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:44 AM »
If you go to the Linksys web site you can download the owners manual.  I had to do this for my daughter-in-law.  I believe you can also download the drivers if you need them.  You can then open your browser window and type an IP address (given in the manual) into the browser's URL address window and then you should have access to the router setup.  If it is connected to the computer.  I have only worked with a couple of routers.  One had wireless.  On it you had to configure the router via a wired connection before you could setup wireless.

Also, don't rule out a bad or intermittent cable. 

Right now I have a router that works so that I can share files and printer between two computers, BUT it won't connect to my cable modem after we had a bad storm.  I tried switching cables and direct connecting to the cable modem.  It all worked fine except for the connection between router and cable modem.  I replaced the router.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline mparks

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
Can you get anything out of the router at all?  If you you've reset it to defaults by using the little button that has to be held in with a pen or something while plugging it in than you should be about to put 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of you internet browser and get a login screen.

Is this by chances a Linksys WRT54G?  They are popular with geeks(like me) because they can be modified by loading a free firmware version.  Unfortunataly, this sometimes results in a "brick" situation where the router dies completely and can't be revived.

The IP of the router should be 192.168.1.1 by default and it should try to assign an IP to your PC of 192.168.1.1-255.

Not sure if any of this is any better than what you can find out from the tech support guys in India or not.