Author Topic: ..OK..Here's your chance to cuss a speed trap town..  (Read 676 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
..OK..Here's your chance to cuss a speed trap town..
« on: August 20, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »
   I'm sure we have all run into the proverbial " speed trap" town..I'll tell you my favorite...then you can each tell us yopurs...

One day, after a trip south..I was having coffee at a local trucking company where a bunch of the " good old boys" congregate ..

I complained that I had "been had" in a speed trap on the way back .

Immediately, three of the guys shouted .." Summersville, West Virginia !"..

I said, " Yup ! on rt 19..and they are really tricky about it..varying the speed limits  up and down...and they wait just past one of the suddenly reduced speed signs..

Now when I go south and save those extra miles by taking rt 19, I drive very carefully ..and DO NOT patronize businesses there..and won't, until they give their local constabulary a clue...

BTW..There is a town not too far from me that is getting really handy at same..they about 5 years ago they had one or two patrol cars and perhaps 8 officers...now they have several cars( & SUVs)..and many more full time officers.
..Someone has to pay for it..

That town; Arcade NY on rt 39..also watch Perry and Warsaw NY, all three are in Wyoming county.

OK..Now I've vented..tell us of your favorite speed trap..and help your gun buddies avoid a possible ticket..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ..OK..Here's your chance to cuss a speed trap town..
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:40:11 PM »
South Louisiana, if you have out of state plates.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:43:14 AM »
For a real "middle of nowwhere" speed trap, try Rush Springs, OK.  Highway 81 runs right past the town and the speed limit at the one light there is strictly enforced and has been for as long as I can remember passing through.  Always a city cop setting back off the side road and he'll get you for 56 or is it 46???  Can't remember the exact numbers, but you gotta pay attention or you gotta pay the judge.  Got busted once while on leave going on a date when I was a little distracted by the cuty thang next to me, but got off since I was on leave...  I know my mom and dad have each been busted there several times over the years...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:21:53 AM »
England has changed a lot in the last 20 years regarding speed traps. They used to never pull you over unless you were driving unsafely. And then they'd give you a tongue lashing for it. Today the intolerance for speeding has become an institutionalized norm where 3 mph over the limit is enough to get you a fine. Auto manufacturers for the British market are including automatic speed limiters (ASLs) as accessories that prevent the car from exceeding a set speed. The Brits have pioneered the automation of modern speed traps and are importing that technology into the U.S., specifically the state of New Mexico, who has just undergone a pilot project that ended, I believe, this July.  There are about 8,000 such sites in England. About half are in fixed locations, the other half are moved randomly.

In another variation, the state of Minnesota has zones where enforcement is not uniform with state norms. State-wide, if the the posted speed is 55, then you can usually get away with a speed under 65 without a ticket. In these special zones, anything exceeding 55 can get you a ticket. Recently, a company I worked for had the state of Iowa for a client. Iowa was implementing a similar program, and they even showed us how much revenue they expected to get from the program, and what specific new programs would be funded by it. The psychology of this is very unfortunate because drivers are used to driving 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit. That expectation is true for most of the state, and in fact, not travelling according to this norm constitutes a safety hazard. Of course, the police say that it's in the name of public safety.

By the way, you've heard the phrase "speed kills"? Not as true as you've been led to believe. Alcohol and driving kills, but speeding on roads like interstates is actually a pretty safe practice.

Safety first

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:31:14 AM »
Oro Grande, It's on the highway from Alamogordo New Mexico, to El Paso Texas.  Flat straight highway for 100 miles of desert and army firing ranges.  Everyone hits that highway and kicks it up to 85 or 90MPH and cruises.  Right about midway is Oro-Grande.  One little old store, selling Antiques, and about five houses back off the road.  And one cop.  Speed limit of 45 for about 300 yards, no warning, just boom you're through it before you even know it's there.  But the local cop has a speed gun, and knows how to use it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jpm

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
Waldo Florida.  55mph sign followed by 35 mph just 50 yards apart. Unless your car has retro rockets you ain't gonna make it. :-[