Author Topic: North American mini revolvers for backup ?  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
North American mini revolvers for backup ?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 02:02:01 AM »
Dee,
No worries mate! You can replace your lost treasure for under $200 out the door, most anywhere!
Keep a weather eye out for the storms in your area today!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 06:49:44 AM »
Savage I guess thats true. Where in Arkansas are you located by the way?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline aaronrkelly

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 08:42:14 PM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
Also, It takes a certain kind of person to use a knife on another human being, You WILL hesitate before doing it..
Hand to hand combat is a most savage undertaking and most men are really not capable of that kind of brutality. There is a big difference in pulling a trigger and pushing a knife through a ribcage or cutting a throat.
A gun is not personal, an edged weapon is!

I was waiting for someone to mention that.....I agree 100 percent.

When Im wearing pants and think a BUG is warranted, I use a airweight Smith J frame with some .38+P.

In the summer I like to wear shorts.....as often as possible.   That dictates that my BUG will not work, so I toss a NAA .22mag with folding grips in my pocket.  It may not be uber-tactical but its better then harsh words.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
HUMMMMMM, opinions.
I have one- :grin: .
If I am gonna shoot something, anything, hog-dog-man or woman I would not shoot em with a 22 anything. I certainly would not shoot em with less than a .380 and I am not at all sure that is the end all caliber but in a PPK it is small enough, accurate enough and reliable.
As far a a knife is concerned- I think I like the thought if I were smelling bad breat, let's pray it never gets that close, I am too old to go a round with a youngster.
Take them feelings off your shirt sleeves folks, they aint got no place in arguements, unless you want to loose the arguement. Keep a cool head and your more likely to communicate.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:03 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
HUMMMMMM, opinions.
I have one- :grin: .
If I am gonna shoot something, anything, hog-dog-man or woman I would not shoot em with a 22 anything. I certainly would not shoot em with less than a .380 and I am not at all sure that is the end all caliber but in a PPK it is small enough, accurate enough and reliable.
As far a a knife is concerned- I think I like the thought if I were smelling bad breat, let's pray it never gets that close, I am too old to go a round with a youngster.
Take them feelings off your shirt sleeves folks, they aint got no place in arguements, unless you want to loose the arguement. Keep a cool head and your more likely to communicate.
Blessings

If a 22 Mag is not any better than a bee sting, would you volunteer to stand in from of someone with a NAA 22 Mag and get shot?  If you answered no, don't say a 22 Mag is not effective. Bottom line.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 10:48:43 AM »
This has been an interesting thread to read.  Here's my take on this.

I own a NAA 22 and while they are not the most practical firearms for self defense; when the chips are down this is better than no firearm or even a knife.  I agree with the fact that I don't know of anyone that would voluntarily take a dose of 22's (lr or mag).  Unless you are some battle hardened BA, the average citizen is not going to opt for a knife in a confrontation over one of these 22's.  As with anything, if you are considering carrying one of these 22's - you should practice a lot - that should be obvious regardless of the weapon.  Man, dog, woman - it doesn't matter.  If you are threatening my life or my family's life and all I have on me is my NAA 22; then you've got 5 rounds coming your way! :blaster:

:cb1:

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »
Is a .22 or knife better than nothing at all? sure

but if its your life youre talking about, why skimp over a few $$? get atleast a .380 for backup I say. 2 each their own, its all subjective.

I value my life and if I were to carry a 2nd pistol, it would be "at minimum", a .380, but Id feel better with small 9mm on my ankle or anywhere else I can fit it.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2006, 02:36:34 PM »
Quote from: sniperVLS
Is a .22 or knife better than nothing at all? sure

but if its your life youre talking about, why skimp over a few $$? get atleast a .380 for backup I say. 2 each their own, its all subjective.

I value my life and if I were to carry a 2nd pistol, it would be "at minimum", a .380, but Id feel better with small 9mm on my ankle or anywhere else I can fit it.

You missed the boat on that one. It has nothing to do with cost. I can afford any gun I want, it is just a personal choice. I have owned several pocket pistols and just like the NAA. It is not my main weapon, I have several others I use.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »
I wasnt aware that I was typing @ you
 :)

I was speaking in general terms, I personally know many people that dont want to spend $$ on a decent backup, so they go cheap, and that usually means a smaller, less effective caliber. My comment applies to such people.

Further more, some would benefit by getting a better Primary/Main and becoming proficient with that and only that. I have a friend that has a Hi Point(the 2 Ive seen are total piles), and a backup .22. Combine the 2 and you have enough for a better Primary. Maybe Im just loony

:eek:

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Re: North American mini revolvers for backup ?
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
This argument on knives versus small revolvers is rather pointless.  I have thwarted robbery attempts by the mere presence of a gun, in some cases I ended up using my fist to fight the guy off.  I have carried one of the .22 rimfire mini revolvers and if threatened, pulled it out, never had to cock the hammer, the fact that there was something shiny made out of steel in my hand did the job.

People don't want to be shot, period.  They will look for an easier victim.  In the cases where I had to fight with my fist, they gave up and looked for someone else.  I even dodged out into busy traffic on two occasions to keep robbers away from me, they did not want to be run over by a car and left.

Don't forget the televison footage of Hinckley going after President Reagan and company in Washington D.C. years ago.  The attacker used a short barreled RG-14 in .22 LR rimfire, the supposed explosive bullets failed to detonate, and every person that received a bullet went down, everyone.  A big hardened criminal with a bullet wound in his chest from a .22 rimfire out of a 1" barreled gun is still easier to give a knuckle sandwich to, or run from, yes run away from, than if he has not been shot.

A large, sword like knife would be effective, if you knew what you were doing with it, the age of gentlemen walking around with a rapier sword when it was fashionable in the period of the 1500-1600 hundreds A.D., is over.  I was lucky that I only had 1-2 people attacking me, but often the robbers come in groups, I will take a gun, any gun, over a knife in that situation. 

Offline Mike357mag

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »
I carried one of these for a few years.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=7531040

When you really need a highly concealble firearm they can't be beat.  Not a first choice weapon by any means(even as a backup)  but a gun in hand is worth more than any you left at home.  Mine was accurate enough to guarantee a lung shot at 6 or 7 yards every time.  I wore two guns this was my second gun (working in a gun shop) you may not allways be able to draw your better choice weapon.  Figuring armed robbers will be watching what you go for this small gun could surprise them if you had no choice.

Mike H

Offline dcewolf

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2006, 08:59:43 AM »
Well, I would like to have a NAA Black Widow with cylinders for both 22lr and 22mag.  Would I carry it regularly as a back up??  If I had a choice between it and a Beretta Tomcat .32 loaded with Glasers -- I'd of course take the .32.  If it was a choice between the NAA and nothing I'd go with the NAA.  The Black Widow has a better grip than the other mini-revolvers and from what I've seen (never shot one myself) they are a quite a bit more accurate...hitting center of mass within 7 yds or so. 

Do I think it would be an effective back up??  Well, I sure wouldn't want someone taking pot shots at me with the Black Widow with .22 short, LR, or magnum from even 20 yards out.  So I guess with just sheer threat of firearm, loud bang, and if you are competent enough shot it would be effective.  A quote I've seen in different places "Small gun may be cute but small doesn't mean easy to shoot." 

If you take the argument of coming up against some adrenaline jacked druggie, well of course a 22 may not be any good....but my first thought on self defense is don't go anywhere where you know likelyhood of using el pistola is high.

Thats my $1.50 :)

Peace fellas.