Author Topic: I LOVE READING ABOUT WILDCATS!!!!!!!!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline field989

• Trade Count: (0)
I LOVE READING ABOUT WILDCATS!!!!!!!!
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:13:29 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE READING ABOUT WILDCATS AND THE LIKE

i do not reload(im still in school lol)
but i would like to

how hard is it to  make wildcats...... id imagine it varies but is proally hard

but i love readin about them

thanks

Jeff

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: I LOVE READING ABOUT WILDCATS!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »
Jeff

I am just now starting to get in to wild cats ,having been loading for over 25 years , my first will be a Gary Reeder 41GNR which is basicly a 44 mag necked down to 41 cal ., my dies should be here in a day or so to form the brass .This i will shoot out of a Reeder re-chambered S&W mod. 657-2 . should make for a very good white tail getter .

And while i have been waiting , i have been looking at another , a 224 C&R Maxi which is a 357 Max necked down to a 22 cal. , this i will have a H&R sportster 22 mag barrel re-chambered to fit this one . I just like the idea of something that not everyone has .

As of now i am happy to use what someone else has already come up with , but at some point i would like to do my own cat , but then what can i come up with that has not already been done .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
#1, #2, #3, ...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:36:58 AM »
 ;D  O.K. #1). You gotta be nuts, but it is better than some other activities...

#2). It can be very addictive and expensive, but ?? see #1.

#3). I suppose you know about, own?, Mr. Ackley's two volume set of books covering the smokelesscartridges, factory, Improved, and wildcat; from circa WW I to his reitirement, circa 1985? Thousands and thousands of wildcats... He sold out to his son-in-law (THEN) who is at (censored word).com specializing in work on T/C (Thompson Center) products for which he has some house cartridges/wildcats... ENJOY... luck... happy trails...  ::)

Opps: books available from eabco.com, sinclair international, ebay, etc... 3rd volume promised, but it has been a LONG, LONG time...

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 11:03:19 AM »
Other books to look at are:
Ken Waters' book (amazon, Graf & Sons, Midway, and others)
Wildcat cartridges combo (available at Graf & Sons and Amazon)
Handloaders guide to Wildcat cartridges (smae as above)
Custom forming wildcat cases (not the actual title, I'll edit later when I get back to my lib.)
Fred Zeglin's book on Wildcat cartridges (available on his site www.z-hatcustom.com)

As a ballistician I too love reading on cartridges, of course I like to read on mathmatics as well so I'm a little off kilter to begin with.
If you can aford the subscriptions get Handloader magazine, rifle shooter, and check out Saubier.com and GGVG as well. Both sites have lots of info on small caliber wildcats and shooting varmints. You may at some point invest in a good ballistics program, most of them have various cartridge design tools that if nothing else are fun to play with.
Welcome to the bug.

Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »
Jeff,
   Keep on reading and let it go at that. Like Ranger said, you have to be nuts to play with them. There is no reliable loading data for most of them so you have to be able to read presure signs or you`ll blow yourself up, and even if you can read presure signs it only take a small mistake. At present I load for and shoot 2- .17 cal. wildcat, 1- .22 cal. wildcat, 2- .25 cal. wild cats and a .411 cal wildcat.
   Dies will run you $ 100 per set, possibly more. You must form your own brass, takes extra time and money and the animals or paper that you shoot will never be able to tell your wildcat from a factory round. Only a fool would waist the money on a wildcat rifle, and I`m looking real hard at a .22-284 right now.  ???

Offline Con

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:21:04 AM »
Catfish,
Which .411 wildcat? I'm currently looking at putting a really easy one together ... a 411/338 ... dies are cheap too ... 416Taylor with the expander removed ;D. Next one will more than likely be a 303/35 on a No4 action ... you can reload that one with 350RemMag dies but not FL size. Not all 'cats require custom dies to get up and running, but they do help.
Cheers...
Con

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 11:22:31 PM »
Hmmm well I am just starting to make my own wildcat cartridge. You see I have this take off Mauser target barrel in 7.62x51 which of course gives me a .308 bore. The action is antique being an 1875 Martini made at the Enfield factory. The action was converted by Bonehills of Birmingham to .22 rimfire but some bodge artist somewhere along the line decided to drill out the liner and stamp .410 Shot on the barrel  :o ::) but they did not undo the rimfire conversion. So when I obtained it if you did chamber a .410 shell you could see about 1/16" of the rim above the breechblock and so not surported by it:o.

Over the years I have gathered together the parts to rebuild the action into a working and safe centerfire rifle. It now has a .303 breechblock and a replacement lever with unadulteratded horns to lock the breechblock into battery  :). and a .303 extractor. This last week I have put the action together and got it all working but without using the .303 extractor at this point as it has the bored out barrel fitted so still has the buthered rimfire extractor as that fits the barrel. Due to the Martini design I decided to stay with the .303 British parent case  ;) this will shortened and have the body blown out to minimal taper and a sharp shoulder similar to Ackleys. The reason for shortening the cartridge is that my clubs range is only 75 meters and the Police have been giving me grief over the amount of full power .30 and .31 rifles I have. I will use their ignorance against them as with the improved case shape using 150 grain bullets it looks like in theory at least it might equal or even surpass the standard .303. According to the predictions thrown up by the computer programme either IMR 3031 or Vhit N135 are very promising powders. But being a shorter case as the Police here do not know much about these things a shorter case will appear to be less powerful and sound logical for using at the reduced range we have available. Also with no loading data available to them they cannot dispute my claims  ;) ;D

Now as I am not wealthy  ::) the maching work will done by myself including making the chambering reamer (a first for me) and the loading dies ( another first) before I can get to working on the barrel I have to first make a barrel vice and an action wrench. The steel is sorted out for the action wrench I just have to locate some for the barrel vice. Of course it helps that for some 25 years I worked as a machinist and that I have access to lathes and mills and a couple of grinders otherwise I would not be considering this project at all  ;) Cases will be cut down to length in a split bush in the capstan and parted off and I am hoping that I can form the new neck and push the shoulder back without resorting to a set of forming dies. I have shortened and formed .303 brass into 6.5x53R in the past let's hope it goes as well.

This new cartridge fits into the wildcat idea perfectly as it's based upon another existing case and fits a special purpose for which to my knowledge no cartridge like it already exists.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 07:19:35 AM »
Con,
   I have the .411 Hawk. It based on the 06 case. You have to expand to over the shoulder dia. to seat the bullet, and that give you an almost straight walled case. It will push a .300 gn. bullet to abt. the same vel. as a .375 H&H. It only leaves you abt. .009 shoulder to head space on and can be a pain because of it. Efficenty of the round is teriffic though. I picked it up used and really haven`t worked with it like I should, but then there is nothing in Ohio that I need anything close to the stopping power it has.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »
 ;D .411 Hawk, GOOOOOOOOD cartridge! Did Fred make it for you?
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Con

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 03:17:19 AM »
Catfish,
Very nice ... I've looked at the 400Whelen, 400Brown-Whelen and 411Hawk and all are too fiddly to get up and running when your located in Australia. I know the ballistics well as I once had a short love affair with a 10.75x68 ... 347gr at 2250fps was perfect! In my case its easier sticking with a common case like the 458WM ... although I'll be loading back to duplicate 10.75 ballistics.
Cheers...
Con