Author Topic: Zeiss cleaner and Rainguard  (Read 634 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Zeiss cleaner and Rainguard
« on: April 09, 2003, 07:23:25 AM »
I have a Zeiss spray cleaner and Zeiss pre-moistened cloths that I use to clean the lenses on my scopes.  Let me tell you, this cleaner is great.  In addition, it is also very safe on anti-reflective coatings.  I have used this cleaner on my Leupold Vari-X IIIs, Nightforce NXS, Burris Black Diamonds, and Nikon Monarchs with super results.

However, there is a problem.  I used this on my Elite 4200 and it didn't work to well.  I think it's because the Elite 4200 (and the 3200) has "Rainguard."  Rather than clearing-up the optics, they became kinda smudged.  I later used another very soft cloth and the smudge went away, but, in the future, I don't think that I'm going to use the Zeiss cleaner with the Elites.

What do you Elite 4200 or 3200 owners use to clean your scopes?  
Any other thoughts or comments?

Zachary

Offline John (Rojo)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 12:38:06 PM »
Zachary,

I use canned air for light dust.  In the field I  use a camera lens quality blow brush.  If there is a film on the lens,  I use a damp lens quality cloth and/or a little alcohol mixed with it.  For other scopes,  I also find the Zeiss cleaner excellent.  I have a Zeiss coating on my eyeglasses, and I use the Zeiss cleaner on them as well.

I clean my lenses only when they need it,  not as a matter of habit.  Overzealous cleaning of the lenses may not be a good thing.

John (Rojo)

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 12:50:07 PM »
Yea, I too agree with you.  I don't think that over-cleaning multi-layered lenses would be a good thing.

Zachary

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 05:34:50 PM »
Cleaning lens is not a bad thing IF done right. If you use lens caps it likely won't be needed all that often.

First get off ALL of the loose stuff. ALL OF IT! That's what puts the scratches in the coatings and can even get to the glass if big and bad enough. This is best done by blowing it away. You can use canned air or an ear syringe which is what I use as I'm cheap and canned air is expensive.

If you've succeded in getting off the loose stuff that's usually all the cleaning needed unless you've messed around and gotten finger prints or water on the lens. If you you have smears to remove. Water spots can be more difficult than grease to remove at times.

As I've said before I start with soapy water, proceed to alchohol and then finish with acetone just as I did when I did this for a living working for the US Army in the optics shop. These days I most often use Q-Tips cotton tipped swabs with the rolled paper center section. Yes Q-Tips by brand name not an off brand. Somewhere in another thread I went into great detail on the procedure so won't repeat it here.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!