Author Topic: 30-06 factory load for Elk  (Read 918 times)

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
30-06 factory load for Elk
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:52:05 AM »
I just found out yesterday that my 14 year old son drew a license for a Michigan Elk and I have less than 2 weeks to find a guide and get my stuff together.

I think he'll be using my 30-06 for the hunt.  It's not a Handi, but I don't think my .223 Handi would get that job done.

We've never hunted Elk before, and I don't reload, so I'm trusting that you guys will make some good recommendations on a factory load that has worked for any of you in the past.  I'm guessing that any of the 180 grain loads with a bonded bullet would be best.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Moonlitin

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: 30-06 factory load for Elk
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 04:46:11 AM »
I haven't taken a elk yet...but if I was using the 30-06 I wouldn't hesitate to use some of these rounds...Good 180 grainers or even 200 grainers should work...I'm like you though...it would have to be a good bullet construction...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=610166
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=149647
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=411578
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=986894
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=180043

Failsafes,Partitions,A-frames,and heavier Triple shocks should also work real good...Of course it will depend on which shoots best from your rifle...

Good Luck to your son...It's great he drew a tag..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 05:01:15 AM »
I've taken a bunch of elk with 180gr Win Supreme Failsafes if you can find them. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:03:25 AM »
 I am reloading Hornady SST 180 grain bullets thease days .  Here is some of there custom made ammo.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=213725
Mac & Tim gave you some good choices to.

John

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:21:53 AM »
The 180gr is the optamum bullet for the 30-06.  The 200 and 220gr don't have any range, the 150 and 165 are too light.  Go with the 180gr.  Any of the premium loads will do the job.  Just make sure you sight in with the loads he will be taking.  I would stick with standard brands like Federal, or Remington, just in case you lose the ammo on the trip there and have to get more that way it would be easy to find and you would not have to resight in the gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:02:29 PM »
i'd try hornady ammo' with their 165 gr' spire point bullet to get decent killing power, a somewhat flatter trajectory, and less recoil than the 180 gr' bullets that are otherwise very good on elk (if the bullets are of proper construction, of course).

take care,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
Moon i reccommend you try Federal they have both standard and high energy loads for the 30/06 using the Nosler 180 partition, I myself would use the high nergy . If you cant find them locally you can buy them at Midway USA and Cabelas. And remington also loads the 180 grain swift A-frame  Good Luck Tanoose

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:31:45 PM »
Wow! I guess I've just been lucky taking elk with just plain old 180 gr Remington Core-Loks. Use any of the 165 or 180 gr bullets mentioned. Just stick it in the right place, and it will "Get-R-Done".
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:48:42 PM »
Wally has a good point, the 180gr Core-lokt has probably killed more elk than all the rest of the bullets combined, forever!! My first elk was killed with one out of an A3-O3, then I killed a few with em in a Rem 760, they aren't the best bullets for penetration, but all those elk sure didn't know it, and neither did I!! Most of the recovered bullets were found just under the hide on the off side, usually in pieces, but they had done their job resulting in meat to pack!! ;)

FWIW, I've only recovered one Failsafe in the spine of a bedded cow, all the rest were clean exits, just behind the shoulder, save the meat!!

Tim

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 05:02:53 AM »
Wow! I guess I've just been lucky taking elk with just plain old 180 gr Remington Core-Loks. Use any of the 165 or 180 gr bullets mentioned. Just stick it in the right place, and it will "Get-R-Done".

i agree that Remington would be one i'd try (secondly, however) in their 165 gr' variant (original core-lokt) for elk.   but, with elk hunting being done from close to far-off ranges, i'd recommend the somewhat better bc's of the Hornady's.   i, for one, do believe that the Core-Lokts have readily killed their share of elk, moose, and grizzly.

take care,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 05:32:37 AM »
Whatever you choose for him, good luck on the hunt, Moon!! I bet both of ya are pretty excited about this opportunity, hunting elk and in your home state, ta boot!! ;)

Tim

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
Thanks again for the information...you guys are great
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 01:14:00 AM »
My son killed a nice cow on the first day of his hunt.  The DNR estimated her to be 4.5 years old, 450-500 pounds "on the hoof" and 350-375 pounds dressed out.  He used the Remington core lokt 180 grain soft point.  He center punched her from 250 yards out on his first shot, and broke her shoulder on the next shot, so she didn't go far.  We recovered one bullet that passed almost all the way through her and was lodged against her side where it would have exited.  It expanded into a mushroom shape that held together exactly like the picture on the back of the box, and it will slide right back into the case that it was fired from.  They are "the deadliest mushroom in the woods".

Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 04:29:01 AM »

Congrats to you and your son on his successful hunt...It's what it's all about...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 04:42:27 AM »
Congrats, makin meat is always fun, specially an elk!! ;)

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »
Man thats GREAT,bet he is one happy 14 year old!! ;D
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
Having a fun hunt and an elk to boot. Congrats to you and your son.

John

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 10:41:16 AM »
Very Happy for your son  ;D I also live in Mi. and hope I get to go someday .............

Offline Moonlitin

• Avid Poster
The Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:34:15 AM »
The Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods...it says so right on the box.