Author Topic: My new UNFIRED bowling ball morter (yet)  (Read 1473 times)

Offline dougrunnels

• Trade Count: (0)
My new UNFIRED bowling ball morter (yet)
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi guys, I am building a bowling ball morter using an O2 cylinder, based on the "FLORIDA BOWLING BALL MORTER" design i found here.
After the 2nd cylinder I cut in half, I found one that would accept a bowling ball.  The circumference measured aprox. 27 7/8" .  Windage is about 1/4".  I can do more measurements if anyone is interested.  I cut the valve from the cylinder with a band saw and "faced" the end untill it was about 3.5"flat with a hole of about 1.5".  Using a piece of 1018 cold rollled steel, 4" dia X 5" long,  I bored a "chamber"  1.780" X 2.548" deep, and faced it leaving a"insert" into the O2 cylinder aprox. 0.4" deep, press fitted. We then welded the chamber to the cylinder With TIG welding.

Excuse me for making such a long post, but I'm wondering what ya'll thing about this process and if you think it may be OK.  Or should I just scrap the design and start over.
 I should have taken pics of the piece as we built it.

Doug

Offline dougrunnels

Re: My new UNFIRED bowling ball morter (yet)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:58:39 PM »
I will post some pics when I get it cleaned up and painted.  Yeah, with a Goex can also.   
I am wondering what I should use for a base?
A tripod of sorts?  I know thats like "that" morter that's not allowed.
Any suggestions.  THe problem is the chamber extends past the end of the cylinder about 5" and .......you know all this.......
Any idesa?

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »
Sounds like lots of fun!!!!! When you fire it, take a couple of digital Video cameras with you. Set them up on trypods 60 feet or so back.  and you can get some good stills out of the frames of video. If you have the cameras closer than that the concussion blast will distorte the video.

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:52:54 PM »
You don't say what the wall thickness of the cylinder is nor its length.  You could put the trunnions on the cylinder walls like a M1861 mortar.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dougrunnels

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
FYI  the circumference of the cylinder = 29.5" aprox.  measuring with a metal tape
ID = aprox 8.75"   my venier caliper would not go that wide
Wall thickness = 0.290"
DOT-3AA2400   stamped on the cylinder if that means anything to anybody

Offline dougrunnels

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »
I forgot........the lenght of the tube  measures aprox. 25" from the powder chamber.
I'm going to the deer lease in Ozona, Tx this weekend and I plan to shoot this bad boy.  IF I can find a big enuuf tree to hide behind out there.  Usually ain't nothing but mesquite.  At least I have plenty of fuse.  I will just use a longer fuse.    "CANNON FUSE" delievered my order yesterday, after only like 4 days waiting.  Not too bad.
I plan to take pics,videos of my first shoot and post them here.  Hopefully they be successful.
Later,
Doug

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »
How about a "before" picture before you shoot it? I am especially interested in the powder chamber area.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:39:23 PM »
FYI  the circumference of the cylinder = 29.5" aprox.  measuring with a metal tape
ID = aprox 8.75"   my venier caliper would not go that wide
Wall thickness = 0.290"
DOT-3AA2400   stamped on the cylinder if that means anything to anybody

Can you determine the manufacturer of the cylinder?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:21:49 AM »
I am uncomfortable with the .29" wall thickness but it is probably OK.  Be sure to use Cannon grade powder to limit the pressure.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 12741

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
I made one based on "Floridas" plans,with a 2 inch dia. by 2 inch deep powder chamber.I will post pics soon. Three oz. of cannon grade Goex will send a bowling ball nearly out of sight, and yes,they whistle on the way down.Have fun. D.C.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 01:58:31 PM »
You could put the trunnions on a belt and shrink that on at the beginning of the maximum bore diameter which would give you additional reinforcement where it is needed most.
GG
--Winston Churchill