Author Topic: slug ammo for whitetails  (Read 778 times)

Offline ropadop

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Thank God for the great outdoors!
slug ammo for whitetails
« on: October 15, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »
What slug ammo will you be packing into the deer woods this year?

Anyone tried the new Hornady SST slug ammo?
Thank God for the great outdoors!

Offline navyredneck

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: slug ammo for whitetails
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
I've been using 3" remington copper solids with the following results:

dropped 70# boar on the spot from 30 yards
shot an ~ 70# boar which ran for 200 yards and never recovered (2 weeks after first shot above)
shot an ~ 70# sow which ran for 100 yards and died in the swamp

resighted weapon to find it off by 1.5" at 25 yards.  I'm guessing I bumped the scope when I was climbing my tree stand.  The rope was too short and I remember hearing it hit the tree.

dropped 137# sow on the spot at 35 yards.  The bullet passed completely through and killed a piglet on the other side of her of about 10#

I'm hoping to place an order soon from Dixie Slugs.  Copper solids are becoming too expensive.  All of my shots are <50 yards because of the dense cover in the swamp that I hunt in and I don't expect to lose that much in accuracy.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:52:04 AM »
I have been using the foster type slugs for as long as i can remember. I have,over the years,  found that each shotgun seems to like 1 brand over another.Some like WW, some like rem sluggers, some like federal  ect.... you just have to try the different brands to see which shoots best in your particular gun.So I will be using remingtons in my pump,and WW in my shortie double, and I have to find out what my new tracker 1  20 ga. will like best.I have never lost a deer after it was hit with one of the foster slugs, but all my shots were 75 yds or less....most were much less.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline tim45680

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »
My Tracker 2 loves Hornady SST 2 3/4".

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:00:58 AM »
When I'm hunting in the thick bottoms around the river I user the Remingtom Buck Hammers. Both with the 12 and 20 ga can't beat they punch.  When I am hunting the more open areas up on the rigdes I use the Remington copper solids out of the 12 ga and the core lok bonded slug out of the 20 ga.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 01:09:25 PM »
If I use a shotgun this year it will be Winchester Platinum Tips out of a 12 ga USH.  I'm sold on that slug.  I was a big Copper Solid fan for a long time.  The original slugs looked like they were machined and had a HUGE hollow point.  Just like shooting a laser at a deer:BANG=dead on the spot.  Then they changed to the same style slug but they looked cast instead on machined.  Still worked good but I had one deer take two of them to put him down.  Then they switched to what I think is the current style and I went looking for something else.  Performance on game was not what I was used to.  Between my family and I we were shooting at least 10 and sometimes more a year(in the liberal doe tag years) and we came to the same conclusions.  In reality the performance was probably fine but just not as good as the old ones. 

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »
I'l be using the federal with the barnes xpander. It's all I've used for the lasst couple years and all of the deer I've shot have been one shot insant kills. I only took broadside heart lung shots though. I haven't tried the hornandys thus far but haven't heard any great reviews.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline hysteriapb

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »
my dad used the Federals with Barnes too. He put one into a bucks chest head on at about 40 yards. We found the perfectly mushroomed slug way in in the rear end of the deer. It had pretty much shredded everything between the chest and there.
I've used a 20 ga. smoothbore for 8 years and shot around 8 deer with the foster style rifled slugs. One rather large buck ran maaaybe 100 yards, another ran 30 feet, one doe ran about 30 yards before i got another shot off. All the rest have dropped like rocks. That doe was the only one i had to shoot more than once.
I just got a USH 12 ga. so I'll prolly rock the Federals too, unless i find something it likes better.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »
Make that 3 votes in the row for the Federal Barnes Expanders.
Very happy with their performance.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)