Author Topic: 64 grn bullet in .223  (Read 634 times)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
64 grn bullet in .223
« on: August 29, 2006, 05:43:05 AM »
Winchester loads a 64grn sp  bullet in the .223 that supposedly was developed for the 1 in 12 barrel. Has anyone here used them   and how well did they shoot ? I have seen them listed at some of the discount ammo sites and they have me curious.  Has any one tried them as a deer load ?
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 64 grn bullet in .223
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »
The Win PP 64gr and Sierra 63gr #1370 both shoot good in the 1:12" twist barrels, there have been several threads on em, unfortunately the search is still not working, or I'd point you to them. Dunno about the loaded ammo tho.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=609136

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=738047
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:17:19 PM »
i agree with the hunter who likes the 60 gr' Hornady spire point the best.   i've seen 'em used on whitetails and they are deadly!   they are a bullet that seems to have been engineered specifically for these deer!   (nuisance hunting out of a .223 is what i've seen them used in)

their 55 gr' spire point is also deadly on whitetails........(but the 50 gr' spire point is TOO FRAGILE.)

the Remington 55 gr' PSP' is also said to be a good deer load, if it's accurate in your rifle.

if you can't find the Hornady i'd try the Rem' 55 psp in a factory load ahead of the Win' 64 gr' bullet.

ss' 

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »
Can't say how they work on deer, but they shoot just fine out of my Howa 1500 (about 1.5 inch groups) at 100 yards.  I took my daughter deer hunting last year, and tried out loads with the 64 grain Winchester, the 60 grain Nosler partitions and the 65 grain Sierra Gamekings, and I believe some 70 grain Remingtons.  As usual, the Sierra's were the most accurate (under 1 inch at 100 yards), but the other three kept them around 1.5 inches or a little better.  Decided to use the Gamekings, but unfortunately saw no deer.  I almost got to try them on a pack of dogs, but they turned away from us at about fifty yards (after they saw me stand and raise the rifle).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »
Please keep discussion of this topic applicable to Handirifles. IC Cowboy, your question was moved to the Ruger forum. ;)

Thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain