Author Topic: rain x  (Read 752 times)

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
rain x
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »
Are there any products on the market that can be applied to scopes that will repel rain?  I know that Rain - X works well on windshields.  Would that product be harmfull do the coatings on scopes?
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: rain x
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:21:02 AM »
There are a number of products - made specifically for riflescopes and binoculars, etc.  I have tried a few, and I'm sorry I cannot remember all of their names.  There was a clear liquid, applied with a cotton ball,there is kind of a dry paste, and Nikon sells a wipe that is supposed to stop fogging.  I just got the Nikon product - haven't tried it yet.  The others I have tried have been very temporary - any good effects seemed to dissipate pretty quickly, need to be reapplied daily.  I am sure that folks will rightfully caution you about the potential for damage to lenses and coatings, and I would use with caution.  I haven't tried any of these products on my expensive scopes.  I don't know about Rain-X, but I would be very cautious.

I have had some really rainy,foggy days while hunting and my scopes have been very hard (impossible) to see through, so I have tried some of these products.  So far, I don't think that they are the best answer to the problem.  Like I say, I haven't tried the Nikon product yet, maybe it is good. 

I have been replacing my hunting scopes on my rifles that I use in foul weather with Bushnell 3200's and 4200's as they have the Rainguard coating.  So far I love these scopes but haven't had many bad rainy, foggy days yet to really test them.(been lucky with the weather for a couple of years)  I hear all good reviews on the Bushnell coating though.  I also bought a new Simmons Master Series to try out too.  They also have anti-fog protection.  All of their new (Master Series) design and engineering sound good to me - I want to try them out.  Good shootin'
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:08:08 AM »
I'm very reluctant to add such chemicals to coated optics. Haven't seen anything that says it's bad, but for what you pay for a decent scope, I'm not going to be a guinea pig. If you find something definitely good, please post it. I'd like to know too.

I love Rain-X though. Great stuff on a windshield.
Safety first

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:54:18 PM »
I'm a contractor and was working for a guy who's a bigger hunter than myself. He was preparing to go on a guided hunt somewhere and had all his gear spread out in the floor. He had a small container of anti fog stuff that was made specifically for binos and scopes. It was called "CAT CRAP". Don't know where he got it but based on the other hunting gear that he had, he doesn't have a problem spending money on gear so I bet it works. I never got to ask him where it came from and haven't been able to find it. Anybody ever heard of this????
PS I tried rainx last year and it worked but it didn't last very long. I've seen others here that said to apply bar soap to a clean lens then buff off ???

TP
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:24:11 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »
Thanks for the links. I realized after I posted, that the question was about rain repellant and not anti fog. My main problem is the lens fogging from either my breath or body heat.

TP
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:31:16 PM »
I would be VERY HESITANT about applying ANY such product to my scopes!

If you want those kind of results, then get a Bushnell Elite 4200 or 3200.  It has a permanent coating that will not only last, but also still give you crystal clear resolution.

Zachary