Author Topic: Does camo pattern matter?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline The Sodbuster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Does camo pattern matter?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 11:27:15 AM »
Gotta agree that the pattern doesn't matter.  But I will add my 2 cents worth and add that I feel most camo sold to hunters is too dark.  If you're in the shadows or if the sun's goin' down, light colored clothing will be in the shadows too and appear dark.  If you're out in the open in an ag field or grassy area, that realtree hardwoods or whatever will be too dark and you'll stick out.  If you can stay still and hunt in to the wind it probably doesn't matter.  All the same though, I'd prefer to blend in with lighter colors.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 01:52:45 PM »
I killed my first buck wearing gym shoes, blue jeans and a harley shirt. I think motion and scent are way more important than wearing camo. Scent being most important. If you're still and have some cover you're fine. How many times have you had a deer look at you and as long as you don't move it doesn't have a clue what you are. That being said I wear camo mostly like dakotashooter2 posted because it is made for hunters, and it's kind of like putting on your uniform to play in a baseball game, just makes me feel like I'm hunting.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 04:09:47 PM »
I have seen folks that have put on santa suits and called in coyotes to prove it does not matter about camo.
I think breaking up your siloutte or outline is more importent..and movement to be the utmost in an animal not seeing you.
 I use camo and love it.would not go hunting with out it.and have waaaaaaay to much of the stuff if that is possible..
and a word about scents if dogs and other animals can smell parts per billion even under water,through tons of flowers and in gas tanks.what in gods name would one be spending hard earned cash on cover scents for???granted you don't want to light up a smoke while hunting.
and some one said a white tee shirt was good for attracting deer,as the deer thought it mightbe another bud coming around..I have always thought and heard that whiote was the danger signal for deer as they put the white flag up as they ran off.don't know.just a thought..
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 03:19:16 AM »
Can't speak for turkey or varmint hunting, but otherwise...it doesn't matter worth a damn IMHO.  Looks good though!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:03 AM »
I have hunted for years and I have always seen more deer in a pair of green johnson wool pants and a green and black plaid jacket. Regardless of where I am. I can sit in a ground blind or stand against a tree on a deer drive and the deer come around. There are more deer per square mile and now that I wear mossy oak I do not see a smany deer. I look forward to cold weather to get the wool out.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
i always buy whatever is on sale or cheap, but it usually happens to be realtree hardwoods so that is what i like.  and i think unless you are bow or turkey hunting where you are real up close, im not so sure that it even matters.  yes i believe scent and movement are the most important factors.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline rockymtn eagle

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
Buy any pattern you want for your Colorado hunt, you're going to have to cover it with 500 cubic inches of blaze orange.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 03:12:51 PM »
Buy any pattern you want for your Colorado hunt, you're going to have to cover it with 500 cubic inches of blaze orange.

he he he good advice.gotta love that blaze orange..

here in the west.some folks use what the cowboys wear during the hunts,a big cowboy hat, jeans,and a carhart jacket.as during the year the cowboys are out tending cattle,fixin fences and repairin stock tanks,they are on horse are in the P/U trucks.the elk and deer see this as no threat.as the cowboys don't both the game animals.just one other thought I reckon.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2006, 07:06:28 PM »
to the eagle and kyote in kansas deer season (rifle) you have to wear over 100 inches of blaze orange, i know how ya feel (fortunately a bowhunter that hunts on us has three and maybe a fourth deer on our property on video tape from last year)  and all 4 are in the same bunch at about 200 yards from the house.  it is in a very very very low population area (next neighbors are at least 7 or 8 miles away ) they are just too used to the smell of diesel and human to care
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2006, 08:40:21 AM »
i don't know if i should say this but i a furry and i had my suit on and got 3 feet from a deer and it didn't run. also yote were easy to get withen 10 yards of. I did kill some crows with my suit on but that all that die that day. You should have seen the look on other hunters when they saw me comeing. They were like " when did foxs start haveing guns" i did have a blaze orange vest on. Fursuits are animal costumes associated with certain subgroups of furry fandom. They range from simple tails and ears to full costumes cooled by battery-powered fans. Similar to mascot suits, they allow the wearer to adopt another personality while in costume. Owners can spend less than one-hundred to many thousands of dollars on one fursuit, depending on complexity and materials used. Frequently these items are sold at conventions, or online by either commission or auction. Many furry fans make their own using online tutorials or advice from newsgroups. Due to the delicate nature of these costumes, many require special handling while washing. I start doing it for Conventions, parades, exhibitions and r charity work but i found i liked it so i kept on doing it.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want to be in the woods around these parts in any kind of a fur suit during the deer season.....especially during gun season........

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 03:07:51 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want to be in the woods around these parts in any kind of a fur suit during the deer season.....especially during gun season........

AMEN!

I had a lady come past my stand on public ground walking two pomeranians. My heart lept out of my chest when I saw the white tails coming. She's lucky I check my targets and backdrop before I shoot. I know some guys that get tunnel vision when they see a deer, if one of them were there it may have ended differently.

Orange vest or not, I don't think it's a wise idea to go around hunters with a fur suit on.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 06:41:25 AM »
i  deer seaon does not open tell nov 18- jan 28. the only thing open now is crow, black power, and bow seasons. If it was deer season then i would not be out there at all suit or not. When the deer season open a lot of "out of stater " come here and get really wild, last year one of them kill a gator because he thoght it was a deer and someone else almost shot a hunter because he thought he was a turkey.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/07-Poster.pdf
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline jro45

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 06:28:14 AM »
I wear a camo jacket with a orange vest and a orange hat witch is required in my state to deer hunt. I guess that orange color is a kind of gray to the deer.