Author Topic: I don't live there but I still feel safer....don't you?  (Read 655 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
I don't live there but I still feel safer....don't you?
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:46 PM »
 Amnesty program takes 900 guns out of circulation in Yonkers

(Yonkers) – City officials are calling it one of the most successful gun buy back programs in the country as the Yonkers City Police Department collected almost 900 firearms during a month-long gun amnesty program offered by Mayor Philip Amicone.

The anonymous, no questions asked program offered cash in return for guns — $200 per handgun, $100 per long gun — and gave city residents an easy way to get dangerous weapons out of their houses and off the streets.
“This is a small but significant victory in our continuing battle to get illegal guns off our streets,” said Amicone. “By no means is our work finished, but we can take some measure of satisfaction in knowing that there are almost 900 guns that will never be used in crimes against our citizens.”

The number of firearms collected totaled 890, of which 596 were handguns and 296 were shotguns or rifles. The city spent $147,700 on the program. State Senator Nicholas Spano had contributed $25,000 to offset the city expense.
Police Commissioner Robert Taggart Thursday also said 20 additional police officers have been added to the city’s force with another 20 to be hired in January 2007.

He also announced that over 100 arrests have been made by the city’s Safe Streets Task Force II since its inception in April. The task force covers the Third Precinct and parts of the Fourth Precinct. The Impact II program is currently targeting narcotics activity in the Nodine Hill area. Undercover operations have netted over 70 drug dealers this year. The department’s Gang Unit, the city’s Weed and Seed program and other programs are working to clean up the streets, the commissioner said.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: I don't live there but I still feel safer....don't you?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »
What would really be interesting would be the stats on how many of the guns turned in were stolen just to be able to turn them in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »
Yes......and how many would actually fire?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »
Several years ago I read some data on a "turn-in", at that time the majority of the guns were turned by concerned parents.  Many of their kids had "obtained" a firearm anf the parent didn't want them to have it, or didn't want it in the house.  Of course, this like many other stories related to gun turn in may be the work of anti-gun groups and inflated to gain acceptance.

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
10 or 12 years ago the city of lou Ky was paying $100 per handgun. Some of the cheap little autos only sold new for $50- $60. Big run on the cheap guns, really took em off the streets. Other people were outside buying guns from folks waiting in line to part with their guns. What a huge waste, but it's PC. POWDERMAN.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:23:52 PM »
City officials are calling it one of the most successful gun buy back programs in the country...

The number of firearms collected totaled 890...

That's the most successful buy back program in the country!? It's a borough with 200,000 people in it! I guess a leftist defines success as "budgeted money spent".

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 02:53:53 AM »
   I'm with Powderman..
  I've got a couple cheap little autos..one that is "junked out" and a .380 I never have liked.
   ..I'm waiting for one of those $100 "buybacks"..so I can dump them !

May be a bit difficult though..I want to LEGALLY take them off my CCW...and it seems those liberal buybackers want to buy them.."with no questions asked".

.....Guess they want to resell them with no trace !...LOL

...Besides; that way they may be recycled and come through the buyback again..

What a convient way for liberals to spend even more tax dollars !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:00:12 AM »
Gee, Ironglow, that's a good point! How do these people get away with this without being a FFL-holder and doing a transfer proper? Where are the guns going? Do the FBI and local police get a chance to do ballistic tests on them to see if they might have been used in one of their cold cases? What if the gun's serial number has been defaced? What if it has more than the requisite number of Russian-made parts? How about if the lower receiver wasn't produced in the US? What if the barrel is too short? How about if they're larger than .50 caliber? Do they check to see if the "donor" is over 18 years of age, or over 21 if s/he has a handgun?

Seems to me they're destroying any chance of having a useful paper trail, and yet I have to save copies of my transfer forms for the rest of my life.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »
  I don't know how it all works, but every buyback I ever heard of seems to advertise " no questions asked"..

I ALWAYS figured.." What a great way for a murderer or robber to dump a weapon used in a crime ! "

Who knows how many weapons used in a crime have been turned in by the  very perp that used it ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Geez guys - if they had spent all that money to buy 900 more guns and arm 900 more citizens they wouldn't need the 20 more cops they hired.  But, that is Yonkers - right next to NYC, so go figure, huh............... Mikey.