38 (44.7%)
trophy
14 (16.5%)
family time
13 (15.3%)
other (please specify)
20 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Why do you hunt  (Read 1657 times)

Offline .308sniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
Why do you hunt
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »
Just was wondering.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Wht do you hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »
I'ma bad guy.  Trophy 1st, meat 2nd.  I only get one good hunt a year, so, I want horns, antlers and tusks.  I do however, always eat what I shoot no matter how aweful it may taste or smell!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:51:48 AM »
I hunt for the meat and then the trophy. Now there have been times the trophy is my top priority. I have donated a lot of deer to feed the hungry and have had friends that want meat.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:08:53 AM »
I hunt mostly for the comradery with the other guys and secondly for the meat!

Trophies (that is record book trophies) are pretty much unheard of around here!
We do have some nice bucks taken in this area, but the bigger racks are usually 8-pointers with about a 12-14 inch spread!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:13:53 AM »
the bigger racks are usually 8-pointers with about a 12-14 inch spread!

That is a gigantic deer around here.

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:32:54 AM »
I hunt because I can, and some of my best hunts ended without any game or shots fired, If I weighed hunting by the pounds of meat vs. the hours of enjoyment I have recieved or passed on to my children the meat wouldnt stand a chanch it is just a sidenote of the hunt. :)   JIM

Offline Terrill

• www.terrillhoffman.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:34:22 AM »
I hunt because it is in the genes.  It's hard to explain but it just feels right to be in the field.  I've always thought it was just a left over bit of DNA from the caveman.

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:43:52 PM »
Other: I hunt because I believe God has given us the nature, and as part of that gift, we have an obligation to take care of it. By hunting, I'm reminded of just what kind of impact I have on the planet and how much responsibility we bear in taking good care of it; especially since we have to shoulder the burden left us by those who don't care.

After that, I hunt for meat.
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:07:56 PM »
I hunt because of that rush I get when a big buck walks under my stand or 50 honkers have their feet down in the decoys.  I don't get that rush from a doe walking under my stand anymore like I did when I was 14, thus I mostly trophy hunt, only taking non-trophies for population control.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:37:02 PM »
I voted for meat and other. The meat part needs no explanation but the other to me is therapy. I live and work in Chicago, and when I go hunting in southern Illinois, I live in a tent for nine days no tv, no radio, no rush hour traffic, no machinery. Just the company of a couple of good friends and a lot of time alone in the woods. Call it communing with nature or meditation or whatever you want. All I know is that when I come back I feel strange being inside and wish for more time in the woods. My son is getting close to hunting age, in a couple of years I would have probably put family time as my first choice. In fact that's the only downside to my trips is being away from my wife and kids, well the kids anyway. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »
I agree hunting is very theriputic(spelling) to me.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »
I hunt for all of those reasons, and more.  I really feel that I was born to become a hunter.  If I'm not hunting, I'm reading about it, shooting, scouting, preparing, etc.  I also enjoy the meat of the game that I kill.  Trophies are great when and where you can get them, and I've been fortunate to take a few nice bucks, but I usually happily shoot the first legal deer that I see.  Time spent in the woods is a nessessity of life for me, and I'll bet many of you as well.

Good Luck this season!

Offline Benaiah

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 03:19:14 PM »
 It's encoded in my DNA. Can't help myself.  ;D
I've shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol!

Gus McRae

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 03:01:30 PM »
It's encoded in my DNA. Can't help myself.  ;D
Now that is a good one :)The more I think about it,He may be right ;)
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 04:26:33 PM »
I voted other. I don't really need the meat and a good photo of a great deer would be more meaningfull hanging on my wall than a dead deer. Probally the DNA thing is right. When I was younger and had to justify all my shooting to a war department, it came in the form of meat in the freezer. And I really like cutting and wrapping, maybe thats it? Then again, maybe none of us really know why we do it and that's alright too. One of the things I have noticed over the years, the kill means much less today than it used to.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline NYHunter

• Avid Poster
Re: Why do you hunt
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 07:32:11 PM »
I agree, the kill doesn't mean as much now as it did when I was younger. Hunting gives me the break from life's everyday stresses. To be away with good firends, no job, no phones, no COMPUTERS. Just siittng in the woods listening to, and enjoying, the 'QUITE'. Can't wait for November!

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 12:32:50 AM »
If we voted our hobbies, it is wondered how the percentages would stack up for golf, fishing, hunting, etc.?  This is a Hunting and Trapping Board.  I don;t think that Golf would stack up too well on this Board. 

As I look around my home, there has been a steady ADULT trend away from my youthful hobby of fishing.  I still know how to fish but I would rather manage land for wildlife (own, clear, Roundup, mow, disc, lime, fertilize, plant); target shoot; and reload - all of which surround hunting.

In one regard, I hunt for the ANTICIPATION, the FAIR CHASE, the OPPORTUNITY, the SATISFACTION, the MEMORY, the RETELLING when it all comes together.  Few today are blessed with available wide open space and unfenced forests to puruse at their leasure.  Quite a few of us have an AGENDA (a mortgage, kids in school, debts to repay, etc.) and jobs that are a hassle or blessing.  Taking quiet time in the "Pursuit of Happiness" makes us live linger.

Offline Old Time Hunter

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 04:35:39 AM »
I voted "other". Normally I would try to spin this into all the politically correct reasons such as wildlife habitat control, herd reduction, and the all the rest of the "educated" reasons. But I truly believe it is much, much deeper. When I am out in the fields, I truly feel that I am free, without the social or society encombrances stemming from our culture. Kinda like our forefathers, hitch'n the wagon and mov'n to the frontier. It was not the goal of "more money", but the goal of a "better" life. A life dictated by the individual, and not by society. That short reprieve from the every day to day "box", is what I seek, and by God, hunting is one venue that accomplishes that goal. Even if it is more cerebral than actual.

Offline 45Spades

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
Sorry guys, Sure I love to eat'em, I love to hunt'em and I love the family time............but I just like the killing best.  I'll admit that if I don't eat it I won't kill it.  But eat'in is a bonus.  I don't get the shakes sitting front of a plate of tenderloins and gravy......although it makes my mouth water.......I know what I said is not poltically correct, but I can live with that........
First figure out what it is and what it ain't and thats generally a good place to start.

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »
i hunt for meat!! i wont pass a buck if i c 1 but i wont pass a doe either.i get 2 tags a year and both go for a doe if possible

Offline Mike Bare

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 01:45:05 PM »
I have been hunting for around 30 years and the primary reason is for the meat. It is delicious! But there was always the hope that maybe, just maybe, I would get a buck worth mounting. That day came in 2004 when I killed the 10 pointer in the picture. The real quality of the hunt, though came from hunting with my lifelong hunting buddy and my Uncle Sam. I have learned a lot about the woods from him and we have hunted together almost every year since I started hunting. Sam doesn't get around in the woods as well as he used to, but we still have a good time hunting together. He is usually found pretty close to the truck, which is pretty handy for me! Another bonus for this particular hunt was that I was using a Savage .308 I had borrowed from a good friend of mine......It took a lot of talking, but I finally got him to sell me the gun.  ;D

Offline handyman06

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 07:48:23 AM »
this one has got me thinking. i thought i hunted for meat only, but why do i hunt coyotes?

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »
just to bug PETA.....
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline handyman06

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 06:08:23 PM »
oh yeah thats it!

Offline NYH1

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 03:38:23 PM »
Put me in the "other (please specify)" category. I enjoy doing it..........it's that simple!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »
meat, fun, always have, love to be outside, love to freeze, love to be rained on, the best fun you can have with family and friends. 

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
The meat and being with other like minded folks. Meeting olf hunting friends again. I don't give a hang about horns.
shot placement is everything.