Author Topic: Legal Question  (Read 644 times)

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Legal Question
« on: September 24, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
Was is not legal to shoot out of a cannon or mortar? I was doing some testing of smoke rounds in my 37mm today and got to wondering if I could legally shoot them out of my mortar. So before I go any further I want to be sure it's legal.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »
You will have to send a letter to every state and local prosecutor in who's jurisdiction you may be possesing such rounds to find out.  The City Attorney, the County District Attorney, the State Attorney General and to ATF.

This question has come up infrequently here on the cannon board and as  practice we say don't do it.

We say it first because we aren't attorneys we can't give you legal advice. 

Second we don't encourge the firing of pyrotecnics from cannons.  There are just to many safety factors to be considered.  You may have the requisite skils and knowledge but we can't be sure everyone reading this does. We take enough chances just talking cannons

It is also to easy to slip over the edge on this and get in the destructive device catagory, so we don't recommend it.

Offline brass cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:15:15 AM »
Take a look at the federal regulations concerning the use of antique firearms and cannons.  These are regulated by the ATF.  It specifies the amount of powder that can be put in a projectile and still be legal.  That is United States Code, Title 18 chapter 44 Section 921.(a)(4)(iv) Explosive device defined as a missile with more than 1/4 ounce explosive or incendiary charge.  In other words keep your charge under 1/4 ounce to stay legal and be careful because legal does not mean safe.  Cap

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »
For the purposes of safety we have put the discussion of pyrotechnics outside the scope of this board. The Self Defense Guns and Exotic Weapons Board is the  proper place for that discussion.