Author Topic: Chopped Handi's, trappers, mini guns or shorties.  (Read 1379 times)

Offline wan2bokie2

• Trade Count: (0)
Chopped Handi's, trappers, mini guns or shorties.
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »
Hello all. Been following these threads with great interest. A couple of questions for those that may know. Are the larger calibers favored due to lightness or what. It seems everybody wants thiers as a 45-70, 44 mag or 357max. Why wouldnt one in say in a hornet or a light 30 cal do just as well. I can see cartridges like the 243 being very hard on the ears. What calibers are the most popular to shorten? Wouldn't an ultralight barrel make the better platform to produce a short, light truck gun?

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Chopped Handi's, trappers, mini guns or shorties.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
i think at one point every caliber has been shortened ,as far as a truck gun what do you plan on it being used for?

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »
Think about what caliber would do well with shorter barrel.  Pistol calibers 357 & larger bores yes; high velocity 25-06 no. 

Now, I'm not a shorty fan really.  Handi rifles are already shorter than others by the length of their action so I get more barrel for less gun length anyway.  20" is the shortest I've gone so far.  Might go 18" for a break down carry gun just for convenience and accept the performance loss.  JMHO...

Note that big bores can be lighter because of less metal in the barrel.  They can also recoil harder.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline wan2bokie2

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:31:12 AM »
Been thinking about this type of rifle a lot. Just cant convince myself it would be something i couldnt live witjout ezpecially since this past season where a superlight performed perfect in the blind and tree stand. Just yrying to get a few other opinions. Thanx

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:56 AM »
had a 357 max made to be 5 pounds with dot scope for my 7 year old to deer hunt with killed at least 2 deer a year till last year till he used my 445.....he is 12 now   funny thing is i used his  rifle to kill my deer last year im starting to like carrying a 5 lb rifle all day im 50 now     im thinkinghis 30 lb bow will be fun to bowfish with and let him use my 40 pounder this year

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
I have two,

a 22 hornet cut to 16.5 with the ATI stock, perfect backpacker/truck gun.

also a 18" 30-30 with composite stocks on it, also pretty light weight.
Good when using one of those molle shotgun scabbards strapped to the sxs or jeep bars.

they are all fun

Good luck