Author Topic: Concealed Carry and Routine Traffic Stops  (Read 779 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Concealed Carry and Routine Traffic Stops
« on: September 02, 2006, 12:40:56 PM »
I officiated at a Pop Warner football game today.  Another of the officials is an Orange County, FL Deputy Sheriff.  I casually asked "When leaving camp or going, carrying concealed and licensed to do so, if stopped for a routine traffic infraction, should I declare that I am carrying?"  His response was AFFIRMATIVE, tell the officer that you are carrying and follow his instructions to "de-escalate the situation".  He indicated that in 17 years of law inforcement, he would be VERY pissed if during a later portion of the stop he "discovered" the piece or pieces.

Has this been discussed ad-nausium on the Board?  If so, let me know and I'll pull the thread.  What are the Board's reactions to this?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Concealed Carry and Routine Traffic Stops
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »
I don't recall a whole lotta discussion on the subject.

In some states the law requires you to notify an officer under such conditions, in others it doesn't. I've heard other officers and read it from them on here that they think it's a good idea. But really pissed or not if the law doesn't require it he really cannot require you to do so.

Here in Bama they used to do routine stops to check for licenses but seem to have pretty much stopped the practice, at least I've not had mine checked in years. I do recall once long ago I was stopped and had a couple of handguns laying on the front seat in the open. I was asked if I had a carry permit and answered in the affirmative and asked if he'd like to see it. He said yup sure would, I showed it and that was the end of it except we had soem discussion on one of the guns as he had one like it.

I really can't recall ever mentioning a gun I had in the vehicle to any other officer over the years. But then I've NEVER EVER had a ticket for any reason and only when in a wreck have I had reason to talk to officers other than when they stopped me for a license check which back then went rather fast really. In a wreck you get out and get into the officer's vehicle here. I don't carry a gun with me to his vehicle even tho I guess technically I'd be legal to do so. Just see no need.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DWTim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:00:08 PM »
My opinion is that I prefer the officer to ask, because it avoids akward situations. The cops around here always ask when they stop you.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »
"I have the RIGHT to refuse to answer your questions".

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:50:29 PM »
I have buddy in Florida and he told me what he does and I have followed suit.When Iam stopped,I put both hands on top of steering wheel palms up and inform the officer when he reaches my window that I have a gun in my truck and a ccw permit.Must work....I have not had a ticket in over 30 years :D>Each officer has always thanked me for informing him.Of course I do have other embels and stickers on my truck that probably help a little also.But that's another story......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:44:09 PM »
About 8 years ago, I was pulled over late one evening on the way home from work for suspected drunk driving, I was goose necking an accident and had apparently weaved a little in the process  ::).  When the officer approached, I had my hands high on the steering wheel and handed him my CCW license with my driver's license when he asked for it. I told him I was carrying and kept my hands high on the wheel.  He didn't skip a beat and sent me on my way.
I have never had any negative experiences with a LEO, and hope I never do.  I don't view them with the distrust that some do.  The last time I got a speeding ticket, 8 or 10 years ago, I wished him "good hunting" as he walked away... LOL

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 01:47:16 AM »
I have, on the three occasions stopped, given the CCW to the officer when he requested Lic. and ins.. Never a problem.
In fact, and I have told this story before, when I was stopped/hijacked/picked out because of an out of states lic. by the Abbeville, La. sheriff's dept and I did this he looked at it and said "what's this for?". I said I had a weapon and was lic to carry it and, as he handed it back just said "cool".
I gotta get me some Louisiana plates if I am gonna drive over there. :D
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline NYH1

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 07:58:51 AM »
In New Yorkistan we don't have to tell the officer unless he/she asks if we have any weapons blah blah blah. I always tell them up from though. If I get pulled over I turn my vehicle off, turn on the dome light, roll my window down, leave both my hands on the steering wheel (around 2 and 10) and tell the officer that I have a concealed carry permit and I do in fact have a firearm in my possession and where I have it. Then I ask him/her what do you want me to do. If another officer shows up (which has never happened) I would ask the first officer to let the other officer know about my carry permit and firearm. I don't want to surprise anyone, specially someone who has a gun as well!

This has worked really well for me so far. I've never even had a LEO want to see my pistol. They have only wanted to see my drivers licence and pistol permit. Most of them are pretty cool about it. I did have a female Sheriff freak out on me once. She almost cleared leather! Once she calmed down everything was fine. To tell you the truth LEO's like her is why I tell them up front. I was out of my vehicle when I was talking to her. I don't even want to think about what might have happened if I didn't tell her and she just happened to see my pistol printing under my shirt.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 02:17:54 PM »
In Ohio, the law sez you must tell any police officer when they approach you that you have a CCW permit and you are carrying a loaded weapon.  Any move toward the weapon without specific orders to do so is a FELONY, according to the statutes of the State of Ohio.

I recently applied for my CCW permit from the State of Pennsylvania where i hunt deer... and you don't have to tell anyone, including a police officer, if you are carrying.

The two States are side-by-side on the map, yet their CCW laws are worlds apart.

This "mish-mosh" of CCW laws must be rectified.  At this time, it would be very easy for a law-abiding person to unintentionally break the law in one State while obeying another State's CCW  law to the letter... and that's ridiculous!

We must push for a NATIONAL CCW law so that the law is uniform all over the USA and the CCW Permit is valid in all States like our driver's license.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
Sorry for the triple message, but the post came in very, very slowly once I "clicked" on the original post... and then wouldn't allow me to delete the extra posts that were somehow created.  Here's the message I got when I attempted to delete the extra posts:

An Error Has Occurred!
Deleting just any posts in this board is not allowed.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 07:11:31 PM »
When stopped by an officer in Texas you MUST present your drivers license, concealed carry license (if carrying a firearm), and proof of insurance on the auto.  You should have them ready to give to the officer when he walks up to your window. 

Doing it is in your best interest.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 01:13:14 AM »
The boys that I know do not care for you doing anything in the vehicle before they request it. These boys just want you to stay put and keep your hands visible.
I have a hard time doin this, as to my age, they used to want you to move out of the vehicle and behind the car.
Glad I do not get enough pratice to learn this.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dcewolf

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 02:57:25 AM »
In VA if you actually get pulled over LEO's will call in your plates.  As a VA resident they will know then if you have a CC permit or not -- VA tags your DMV records with that info.  It is still seen as a courtesy though to inform the LEO if you have a firearm in the car, that you do have a permit, and ask what he/she would like you to do from there.  We do at times have random liscense/sobriety checks via road block...especially driving through small towns (its been a year since I've been through one but they do happen) I would do the same courtesy treatment then.  For neighboring NC... unless the law has changed.... you are required to announce that you have a firearm in your vehicle.  VA permits are valid in NC, so if you ever cross state lines it makes it easier if you are already in the practice announcing this information, plus the LEOs I know in VA seem to appreciate it if you are open and honest with em.

Offline Questor

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:10 AM »
The answer should have been spelled out in your concealed carry training. Do what the law requires.  Doing more than the law requires often confuses things.
Safety first

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 05:06:17 AM »
In TN your CCW is tied into your licsense just like VA. You are still required by law to inform the officer if you are carrying. They will let you know what they want you to do. If I were a LEO, I would want to know if someone I had just pulled over was carrying too.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.