Author Topic: South African Miniature Cannon Club, Club Gun  (Read 840 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
South African Miniature Cannon Club, Club Gun
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:26:51 AM »
Well I joined the cannon club this morning.  In the interim until I can round up my own cannon, the club has graciously allowed me to use the club gun.

This gun is the oldest gun in the club and was turned over to the club when it makers passed away.

When I paid my first visit to the club this cannon caught my eye. It just has that classic old cannon look.

The tube is  brass with the trunnions  below center.  The low postion for the trunnions raise the center of gravity.  Add to this the large heavy muzzle and the cannon become nose heavy

This could be easily resolved by slightly shortening and reducing the muzzle.  That isn't up me as this is not my gun and I don't have the equipment.  Besides the gun has been this way for over 20 years and using a rubber band to hold the back down has worked just fine, so it's best left alone.

This gun is loaned out to viistors and as a result doesn't realy get the care it should.   when I took over the gun this morning it had a ramrod, gimlet and a vent plug.

The gun is 45 cal roundball and uses 60 grains of FFG,with a felt wad between the powder and ball

The full course of fire is 12 rounds fired in 6 round strings.  Best 5 shots in the string count.

This morning was my first match as a club member.

• 1. This cannon has not been cleaned in awhile
  • 2.  I didn't get rubber band on straight
  • 3.  There was no mirage
  • 4.  The humidity changed
  • 5.  I aimed over the top of my glasses instead of through them
  • 6.  I aimed through my glasses and not over them
  • 7.  I had no brush to brush the bore out between shots.
  • 8.  I had no patches to wipe the bore between shots.
  • 9.  The sun came out
  • 10. The sun did't come
  • 11. The range officer tapped the barrel with the slow match
  • 12. The range officer didn't tap the barrel wwiththe slow match.

These are offical excuses and alibis found in the International book of Shooters Excuse and Alibi's, condensed version.  Please apply them accordingly to the target.

Good enough for third with the handicap.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: South African Miniature Cannon Club, Club Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 06:33:39 AM »
DD,

Boy, I wish we a local club like this here. That must a good time with good people. Nice old cannon by the way.

Ed

Offline Michael Az

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 06:56:13 AM »
Neat old cannon!
Some questions if you don't mind. Are you allowed to build a cannon there? Can you take your cannon home with you or do you have to leave it locked up at the club? We're very fornatune here in USA that we have a few rights.
Just think how happy you will be after a little practice to get that group down to 1"!
Michael

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:01:49 AM »
Right now in RSA , this cannon isn't treated like a regular firearm, but it may be in the future. I have this cannon at my home so  I can clean it up and do some minor repairs. If they change the law I may have give it back to the Club officers and use on the range only.

I also want to build  a shooting box to for it.

The box raises the gun up high enough so that you can see down the barrel to aim in.

All I had available was an old crate that is  used to hold a target frame. Not very square but it was solid.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »
Its a very Queen Ann era looking cannon., 1650s  in design ?  very nice. I must agree cannon clubs in the US would be ALOT of fun. The pics are great.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
Nice looking cannon.  The trunnions look a little small for the size of the gun though.

EL Cazador and Tropico,

Put a notice up at your local gun range that you are interested in starting a cannon club.  I’m sure you would get at least a few who would be interested.  You might be suppressed how many cannons you have in your area.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »
Agree about the size of the trunions. I think it is a steel sheft that goes completely through the cannon and is sleeved with brass tubing.  reall looked that over. No sign of weakness or deteriation and the gun has been firing for 20 years.

Offline freddo

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »
 Except for the trunnions thats a nice looking cannon Douglas.I think I know now what my next project is going to be.
 That Captain cook cannon will look very nice I think.
  I'm surprised that you fellows in the USA don't shoot in clubs.My club shoots Round ball,Breech loader,long range [percussion and breech loader] and cannon.A bit of friendly competition makes it a lot of fun.If you did shoot club events perhaps an international shoot could be organised-a sort of cannon Creedmore.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:57:01 AM »
Actually I just checked and the trunnions are the same size as the  bore...45 cal. That is a rule of thumb for trunnions.