Author Topic: Next Gun after .22  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Scribbler

• Trade Count: (0)
Next Gun after .22
« on: April 07, 2003, 04:51:35 AM »
Hey folks.  I've been enjoying my Buckmark .22 semi-auto handgun I purchased at the end of last year.  I like the accurate groupings I get at the range, and the cheap ammo.  But I've been feeling the need for more firepower!  What would be the next logical progression in caliber, if any?

Thanks,

-Shawn

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 05:31:07 AM »
If you prefer semi-autos, you'll want to go after some flavor of 9mm next, I would think.  Doesn't kick all that much, especially in a steel framed gun, ammo is pretty cheap, usually around $4-$6/box of 50.  Good variety of ammo, plenty of guns to choose from.

If you're looking for a revolver, look at a .357 Magnum.  If all you've ever shot is a .22, the magnum rounds might be a bit much for you, but the great thing about this one is that you can shoot .38 Specials, which don't kick that much, until you're ready to move up.  Then you can move to .38 Special +P, then on to the full power .357 Magnum loads.

Those would be my suggestions anyway, others here may disagree.  As for the gun, I can't tell you what to get because it is a very personal choice and it has to fit YOUR hand, not mine.  As a recommendation to look at, check out the CZ-75 series of pistols and her clones (Tangfolio aka EAA Witness, Jericho/Baby Eagle, Springfield P9).  For revolvers, I tend to prefer Ruger, though some of the older Smith & Wessons are VERY nice.  Ultimately, buy what you like, but these are my recommendations.

Offline Scribbler

next gun after .22
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 05:52:51 AM »
thanks!  that's good advice and I was leaning toward a 9mm next.  When I go revolver, I like the idea of the .357 but starting out with .38 special loads.

-Shawn

Offline Savage

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 07:26:33 AM »
Good reccomendations Security Six!  It would be hard to beat the 9mm and 38/357 for centerfire entry level weapons! I would go one step farther as say, stay away from the cheap imported revolvers. A good Ruger or Smith & Wesson would be hard to beat and inexpensive too.
Stay Safe,Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 03:15:52 AM »
If you are looking for personal opinions, here is mine.  A good used S&W 586 or 686 with a 4" bbl.  I like the L frame .357, and a 4" bbl is pretty much the all purpose length.
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline Savage

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 12:41:30 PM »
Agreed on the barrel length. I don't have much use for a handgun with a longer than 4" barrel. The exceptions being a target or hunting handgun. I have a 6"SS Security Six I use for centerfire plates. That's the longest barreled handgun I own.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 01:11:43 AM »
i think you can consider other calibers--.32, ,.380, ect.--i don't find myself to be in fear with a .380 handy. i don't care what the story is, bigger is not always-i said NOT ALWAYS, better--necessary in circumstances but not always :twisted:  :wink:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 02:32:01 AM »
William,
While the smaller centerfires have their place, they do not make good everyday plinkers. The ammo is generally much more expensive than the 9mm and the size of the .32/.380s does not make it a fun or accurate gun to shoot a lot. If you go with one of the larger milsulp. .32/.380 guns you have cancelled out the only redeeming virture of small cartridge guns. You then have a full size gun firing a pint size round. We now have tons of cheap ammo out there for the 9mm and a large selection of quality, inexpensive firearms chambered for it. These things make it the logical choice for a first centerfire auto plinker that is capable of handling defensive as well as entry level gun game roles.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline coltfan

• Avid Poster
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 05:26:08 AM »
I’ll differ just a little bit. While I do agree with the .357 choice, I personally would opt for a .45 rather than the 9mm. If I need a gun for self defense the .45 would be my preference over the 9mm. In my opinion the 9mm was OK for self defense when used in conjunction with a high capacity magazine, but now that the capacities have been reduced I’d feel better carrying the .45.

As far as the .357 goes, my favorite has always been the Colt Python, but they have gotten quite pricey. Up until a few weeks ago I’d also suggest that you stay with Colt, S&W, and Ruger, but recently my son bought a Taurus tracker in .357 with a 4” barrel. I am very impressed with this gun and would not hesitate recommending one. The ribbed rubber grips, combined with the ported barrel makes shooting full house .357 loads comfortable. When you visit your local gun shop, I’d suggest you look one over and see how it fits your hand. I think you’ll be impressed.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 05:35:56 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
i think you can consider other calibers--.32, ,.380, ect.--i don't find myself to be in fear with a .380 handy. i don't care what the story is, bigger is not always-i said NOT ALWAYS, better--necessary in circumstances but not always :twisted:  :wink:
blessings

Yes, there are smaller calibers, but ammo for the .32 and .380 is not exactly what I would call plentiful (.380 ammo costs as much as 9mm ammo, if not more).  I don't even know what .32 ammo goes for, but I never see a whole lot of it at shows or in gun shops.  From what I understand, both of these (assuming we're talking .32 ACP and .380 ACP) are a pain in the arse to reload.  .38 Spl. and 9mm are not that bad to reload, from my experience.

Now, if none of this bothers a particular person, I certainly don't begrudge them if they do decide to get a .32 or .380, because it does get them out there shooting, but the question was "What would be the next logical progression in caliber, if any?".  Cheap ammo + easy to shoot = 9mm or .38 Special, in my book.  9x18mm Makarov would also be a good choice, as ammo for those is usually pretty cheap, and I didn't think of it until the .380 was brought up.  I guess the .380 does have it's place...   :grin:

Offline Savage

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 06:27:37 AM »
Coltfan,
I too prefer the .45 over the nine for serious social encounters. But as a first centerfire auto that will do service as a plinker as well as a defensive weapon for a nonreloader, you can't beat the 9mm. Ammo is about $80-$90 per 1000. That's a lot of bang for the buck!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline dragthewaters

• Avid Poster
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 03:35:21 PM »
well I think that .380 is a decent choice but the ammo is a little higher than 9mm, that is when you can find it :) , 9mm is a great handgun for just about anything, carry defense practice plinking whatever you want, cause it is cheap and I hear corbon and a few others make loads that hit like a 40s&w, Revolvers, I like the colt king cobra for looks, and the rugers I hear are good quality, but If you get a revolver get in in 357, cause 38 ammo usually runs about only a buck more than 9mm

Offline dragthewaters

• Avid Poster
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 03:37:42 PM »
well I think that .380 is a decent choice but the ammo is a little higher than 9mm, that is when you can find it :) , 9mm is a great handgun for just about anything, carry defense practice plinking whatever you want, cause it is cheap and I hear corbon and a few others make loads that hit like a 40s&w, Revolvers, I like the colt king cobra for looks, and the rugers I hear are good quality, but If you get a revolver get in in 357, cause 38 ammo usually runs about only a buck more than 9mm

Offline quicksdraw45

• Avid Poster
Next Gun after .22
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2003, 05:26:42 PM »
If the purpose is target shooting I would suggest that you go with a medium priced  revolver , at this price range the revolver will out shot the auto in the accuracy game just about every tiime
If you dont reload I would suggest the .357 , If you do reload or plan to start then maybe look into the .45 colt , very versitle for the reloader .

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Quickdraw45
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 05:54:49 AM »
What loads do you like for the 45colt?

Just bought one after years of .357 and .44 and now I see why people have a passion for the 45.  That 45 with 12 grains of AA#5 pushing a 225 Gr speer as a plinking load has just the right amount of 'bang' to it and it's no meager round as far as potency goes.  Way less bite on the hand than my 44. too
When the heart is light the feet are swift.

Offline globemountain

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2003, 06:32:55 AM »
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth about the .45 Colt.  FOR ME it is the perfect cartridge.  I can load from very mild (6 grains of TITEGROUP w/ a 240 xtp) to ouch baby (28 grains of H110 w/ a 240 XTP) and all points in between.   I also shoot .44 Magnum and I have to say that for the reloader I find the .45 Colt to be more attractive because the recoil and MB are usually less in the .45 Colt than in .44 Mag.  But don't be fooled..a hot rodded .45 Colt can bite too......
\"Life is tough, but it''s tougher if you''re stupid\"
John Wayne :D

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
HeyGBMtn
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2003, 06:48:20 AM »
Do you slug your 45's and throat the chamber(s)?

a .451 will slide through the chamber nicely on my 45; almost like a plug gauge, but a .452 is quite tight to pass through.

Therefore when I ordered cast bullets I ordered .451's.

Offline globemountain

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2003, 06:52:00 AM »
No I didn't.  .452 XTP shoot good in it and Speer 225 HP's shoot great in it (Redhawk)

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
Interesting
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2003, 06:55:39 AM »
I'm currently shooting Speer 225's as well.  Primarily because when I first bought the gun a couple of weeks ago, some factory CCI/Speers shot the best.

All the Speer bullets are .451 right on up to the 260Gr. Gold Dot.  

Are you crimping the bullet?  If so, how pronounced of a crimp?

what primers do you like?  I've heard the WW large pistol are the best.

Offline globemountain

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2003, 07:12:56 AM »
I really like the Speer 225 HP.  It has been the most accurate bullet out of my .45LC.  I have loaded it with several powders, H4227, 2400, H110...
An accurate load for my gun is Speer 225HP, 24.6 grains H4227, and a WLP.   Equally or maybe more accurate a 225HP, 28 grains H110, and a WLP.  I crimp my loads TIGHT (especially important with H110 or 296 loads).  I mostly use Winchester Large Pistol primers.  They seem to work best for me....

Offline globemountain

Next Gun after .22
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2003, 07:20:10 AM »
Forgot to add that if you are loading High Pressure loads for .45 Colt FOLLOW THE LOAD DATA TO THE LETTER especially with H110 or 296.  Work up your own loads ...don't start out using some one else's MAX load....be safe