Author Topic: P-3AT or S&W 638 . . .  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
P-3AT or S&W 638 . . .
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:00:18 AM »
Been wanting a small self defense gun that I could stick in my front or back pocket. I've narrowed it down to these two: the Kel-Tek P-3AT and the S&W 638. I'm a wheelgunner at heart, but the size (and price) of the P-3AT looks pretty good.

I thank you in advance for your input.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Re: P-3AT or S&W 638 . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 03:52:26 PM »
I couldn't get my P-3AT to chamber a single round by itself.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 05:26:32 AM »
I bought my P-3AT for the very reason you state. Never had any problems with it. It's flat and light and I can conseal it even in lt. wt shorts and t-shirt. Mine has never failed to feed factory or reloads. I keep it loaded with 90gr. Golddots, and if one of them feeds them, it will feed anything. I have a S&W mod. 60, and a Colt det. special that never get carried anymore. In colder weather I carry a Glock 32 in .357SIG in either a DeSantis paddle or a Bianchi mod 100 IWB.
Dave375HH

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
Can't speak to the Smith, but my 3AT is vey reliable.Had a couple of FTE the first couple of mags, but flawless since then. I cary mine a lot and trust it.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »
Do I want to drive a Yugo or a BMW? ;D S&W 638

Offline TMann

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:33:41 AM »
I recently purchased a P3AT, and I love it's small size. I am currently carrying mine in my front pocket, and it looks I'm carrying a large wallet in there. (This is while wearing jeans, no less.) I have only been to the range once with mine, and I shot 75 rounds of FMJ without a misfire. However, I have not yet fired any real defensive rounds, so the jury is still out on this particular gun's reliability.

Getting back to concealability, the P3AT is definitely thinner than a compact revolver. Depending on where you intend to carry it, this may or may not be a important issue. OTOH, I suppose that one could say that the larger front profile of the revolver make it the more INTIMIDATING gun when used in an a dangerous encounter.  The P3AT has a very toy-like look to it! But of course, any gun that is with you, is better than a gun that is at home...

TMann

A Charter Arms .38 snubbie compared to the P3AT:

Disclaimer: This photo was taken with a tripod mounted camera using a wireless remote. No one was behind the camera. The guns were carefully checked to be unloaded, and were pointed in a safe direction before my finger was placed on the trigger. Safety first, no exceptions...

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:14 AM »
Well, OK Old Griz, if you're a wheelgunner then get the 638, period.  I don't know how many rounds the P3AT carries but I know you are limited to 5 with the 638.  However, 5 rounds of 200 gn swc over 3.8 of WW231 is exactly what I carry in my M38.  I have a 380 - love it, but prefer to carry the 38.  I feel the 38 Spl has a greater capability range than the 380.

TMANN said he ahs yet to fire defensive rounds through his P3AT - 380 ball is about the best defensive round you can get for that caliber - better penetration than any of the hollowpoints.  However, that being said, a 200 gn 38 caliber swc will leave'm leakin' on both sides, if they are still standing.  HTH.  Mikey.