Author Topic: Anyone own a rossi Revolver 6" barrel ? what do you think  (Read 802 times)

Offline nasem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone own a rossi Revolver 6" barrel ? what do you think
« on: December 01, 2006, 03:00:21 AM »
I am not really in the market for a new handgun but I just wanted to learn a little about them.... does anyone own one of them rossi 6" stainless barrel revolvers... how are they ?.... for $300 they can't be beat I think

Offline bsbowles

Re: Anyone own a rossi Revolver 6" barrel ? what do you think
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
I don't have a six inch model. I have a .357 mag with a 2 inch barrel and compensator in stainless. I bought it bout 15 years ago when Interarms was the distributor. For the money it is a very good buy. At least mine is. Like all Rossi's the fit and finish won't be a good as a Smith & Wesson or some other expensive brand. Mine has little machine marks here and there but I use it for what I call a "throw around" gun. I throw it in bag when I go camping, in the boat when fishing, or just throw it in the truck when needed.  I have only shot off hand with it but it does very good at 25 yards and under. The rubber combat grips fit my hand really well. You could get longer range/accuracy with a 6 inch. If you are looking for an inexpensive wheel gun this is it. The resale value probably won't be that high but hey I don't plan on selling it. Revolvers are like screwdrivers, everyone needs one around the house. 

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:11:45 AM »
ive owned a couple , and still have a 38spl , 4 in, i love  it , great shooter , and accurate ,  dependable to say the least,  300? are yu lookin at new ones?  shop around  used ones  go in the ballpark for 200 and 150 if u push it, not sure what model your lookin at ??

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:15:44 AM »
I believe Rossi has greatly improved their quality in the past several years, perhaps since they became part of Taurus, so you really can't compare new guns to old. I have a stainless 6" .357 with a Dr. Optic sight (yep, paid more for the sight than the pistol). With 158 gr. Winchester HPs over 15.3 grains XMP5744 it shoots into 1 1/2" at 50 yards. XMP5744 is generally not recomended for the .357 with bullets lighter than 180 grains but that load sure does shoot in my Rossi. I'm well pleased with it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dennis17

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 06:47:45 AM »
     I done a little research while in the market for a 6" .357 Mag. and came to my own conclusion that the Rossi was the best bang for the buck so I started searching around several gunshops for a Rossi 972. Most places were out of them along with their distributors. Finally found one out of state and had it shipped in state. The price was $319 and I'm super satisfied with mine. I make my way over to a friend's place every couple of months and we shoot several different types of pistols, revolvers, rifles, etc. He's a big Winchester (Pre '64 style) rifle man and a big Smith & Wesson revolver man. He's also a tool and die man and a very fine one at that. He's 60 years old and has done some beautiful work on almost all of his firearms. I showed him my Rossi and we were both impressed with it's accuracy. There was three of us shooting each others revolvers and all of us shot the Rossi and the Smiths. I actually had the best group of the day with my Rossi. We got back to his house and he asked if I wanted to do a little trigger work on it and I have been in the machining trade for twenty or so years and messed around with some tool and die. (I worked alongside this old man for just over three years in an aluminum die casting tool room.) He proved to me he was knowledgable when it came to mechanics. Anyhoo, we tore into this revolver and he said that I got myself a good buy. He said there were some areas that were of lesser fit and finish than his newer Smiths but by a small margin. There was only one thing he said he disliked about it and it had something to do with a pocket where a spring for the double action seated and that it would fall out if the gun was turned up when disassembled and the spring would not fall out on a Smith. He said that that was no big deal and you just had to be more careful. He also stated that the fit and finish of newer Smiths did not compare to the older Smiths and that the whole gun industry was getting greedy and sloppy among other fine choice of words. Our joint conclusion was, accuracy was on par with Smiths, fit was slightly worse than Smiths, finish was on par, Rossi was a bit too light for his liking and the factory grips were too small for him. We broke out his bunch of Brownell's springs along with some EDM stones of different hardnesses, jewelers files, etc. and I now have a trigger pull worthy to shoot and the factory trigger pull was not that bad to me to begin with but noticeably more than Smith. There were even one or two areas that he liked better than the Smith and one was the hammer spring which was a coil spring rather than a flat spring and I can't remember what he liked better about it but in the end and what I'm getting at is I'm thoroughy convinced that from the revolvers he and I have been associated with this Rossi is one of the, if not the, best bang for your buck. I'm sure that if you ask 50 different people you will get 50 different opinions. Hope this helps though.