Author Topic: Get Fit !  (Read 1160 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Get Fit !
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:10:36 AM »
:D  Spring is almost here. I've applied for some tags. I need to get out and get myself into shape (other than round). I've been goofing off working during the winter and it's about time to get some exercise. Maybe I'll break out the bicycle. What do the rest of you do. :D

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Get Fit !
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:47:04 AM »
I use the push mower unless it gets really hot.  For several years I wouldn't buy a riding mower because I knew I needed the exercise.  I finally bought one but I try to use a push mower unless its really hot or I'm short on time.   I also walk when turkey hunting instead of riding the 4 wheeler.  I had an old treadmill once that worked good in the winter but it finally wore out.  Now I just get fat and lazy in the winter.
james

Offline kudzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Re: Get Fit !
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 04:24:47 PM »
james, pushing that rider in hot weather sounds like quiet a workout.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:38 PM »
Get a wood stove for the winter and cut the wood yourself.  Nothing like keeping in shape while saving on the winter heat bill.  It's also very nice to sit by the fire in the evening watching the snow come down anticipating the tracking to be done in the morning.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 08:49:57 AM »
You're right Crowfeather.  I had a fireplace and wood stove once and I got lots of exercise and stayed warm all year.   I never had time to sit by the fire though.   I was either cutting wood, carrying it in to stoke the fire, or carrying out ashes!  lol  Oh, and Dancoman, there is this little lever under the seat of some mowers that takes them out of gear and makes them push a lot easier.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
James

You must not be married.

(My wife is gonna kill me if she reads this)

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:27:44 AM »
No one seemed to answer your reply.  I've been training since April for my first elk hunt in Colorado Unit 75.  I'll backpack into the Weminuche Wilderness area and hunt form about 11,400' up to treeline.  I had a set-back when I injured my back -- not training, getting up from the breakfast table with a twisting motion one morning when I was till stiff from sleeping -- and also had to make a couple of out of town trips.

Anyway, my training has two components -- running and strength training.  Lately I train for 6 days and take 2 days of rest.  I run on days 1, 3, and 5 and do strength training on days 2, 4, and 6.  I run indoors on a treadmill and have built up to 4.5 miles broken up into a first segment of 1 mile, a second segment of 2 miles, and a third segment of 1.5 miles.  I alternate between no slope and 6 degree slope dialed into the treadmill on every 1/4 mile.  I stretch between segments one and two.  I rest about 8 minutes between segments two and three.  The strength training includes sit-ups, push-ups, curls with 25 LBS dumb bells, squats holding a 25 LBS dumb bell in each hand, lunges, and a variety of other exercises to build strength in arms and legs.  I'm thinking about adding in some running on strength training days -- maybe just a couple of miles.  This regime makes me feel a lot stronger than in the past when I only ran -- and for shorter distances and without slopes dialed in -- and when I only did sit-ups and push-ups.

When I increased my intensity of my work-out I began to feel muscle pains that didn't seem warranted by the intensity.  I'm 50 years old just this past June, and my body may not respond the same as it used to.  I have been concurrently reducing my weight, and I decided I wasn't giving my body enough protein.  I began taking a Whey Protein Powder with milk after my runs and after my strength workouts.  This seemed to help a lot.  I think this may also help to build muscle mass quicker, which is something I was hoping to do also -- particularly in my legs to assist climbing in the mountains.

I take the stairs at work whenever I can rather than the elevator.  All of this helps I think.  Any exercise is better than no exercise.  Whatever you can do is better than nothing.  I have read the regimes that some others go through, and I know I don't have time or will to work that hard.  What I'm doing is enough for me.

Offline D.C.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 05:05:39 AM »
As of last January I too have been doing about an hour a day of some sot of exercise. on the wieght training i go with lighter wieght and more reps. does the job and less likely to do damage.  However i do have a wood stove. IT is safe to say that an hour of splitting wood  is just as good as an hour of any other form of exercise. When i do split wood that is the workout on that day. Add a sencable diet to that ,and hiking in the hills is quite enjoyable . I am 46 , good heath, and hunting to all.   D.C.