Author Topic: Lee vs LBT  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Marsh1

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee vs LBT
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »

I finally got a FA in .475 Linbaugh and wanted to start casting ASAP so I could shoot it. While looking for a .475 mold, I bought some LBT bullets from a local gun store. They shot beautifully with the first load I tried and it was full house. I still wanted to cast my own, so out of ignorance I started with a Lee mold I got from Midway and it was a complete piece of junk.  Bullets so out of round that when sized .476 it would wipe most of the grease grooves off one side and part of the shoulder. I sent it back to Lee with a note explaining the problem and a sample of the sized bullets. The one they sent me back in exchange was worst, if that's possible. I will never buy another Lee mold. Absolute cheap garbage.
I gave up on them and ordered a LBT mold from Veral, thanks to this forum for introducing me to that fine company.
Thanks Veral.
Marsh

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Lee vs LBT
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »
Lee is capable of making "decent" moulds but for sure they don't compare to the precision and quality of Veral's moulds.

I have one of the original three moulds Lee made as prototypes for the 400 grain .475" mould. All three of us chosen to test those prototypes agreed they cast good bullets and that they worked fine. I'm sorry to hear they are no longer making them to that standard.

I still prefer the 420 and 420 grain bullets from Veral's moulds but if you want a cheaper non gas checked bullet for shooting the bullets from those original moulds have proven fine for the purpose. I don't shoot any lighter than 400 grains in that bore size personally.

I've about given up on Lee, did years ago really. I do still like their Auto Prime and use it ONLY for priming cases. Their shell holders are fine also and I have multiple sets so I always have a shell holder handy withoutl having to hunt for it. I have a few of their moulds but seldom use them. I don't bother with much of anything else of theirs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:30:33 AM »
That leel bullet is a good one. Its one of the most accurate 475 bullet ive tested overall in a number of guns. Problem is mold quality. Ive probably had 10 of them and have 5 right now. Ive sent a few back for replacement too. The two cavity molds are probably good for a couple thousand bullets then i toss them. In my opinion aluminum molds arent the answer. They cast good bullets and are user friendly but just dont hold up and that includes nies and lbts. Ive got a collection of wore out lbts and nies too. There fine for someone who is casting a few bullets but not for someone like me that pounds out thousands. A good mold for the 475 is the rcbs 400 swc its a real shooter too and its made out of steel but the problem is that its a single cavity mold and is SLOW. I run three of them at a time and it doesnt work to bad like that. If you want real quality in a mold for the 475 check out ballistic casts websight. Those molds are a work of art! They cast beautifull and last a lifetime and arent much more expensive then an lbt. I do wish thought that lee would make that 475 bullet in a 6 cavity. The 6 cavity lee molds are a much better mold then there 2 cavity throw aways.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:02:05 AM »
I have but limited experience with Ballisticast moulds but it's ALL BAD. I was lied to regarding price or at least they charged my card far more than I was told they would be charging it for the order. That took some bit of effort but I got it fixed thru my credit card company. The mould however was junk.

I'd not have another of their moulds if it were free. Yup that judgement is based only on a single deal with them but it was so bad there won't be another to see if it was an anomaly or normal.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »
Bill something else that we disagree on. But then i thought once youd never own another ruger too :P
blue lives matter

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 12:40:10 AM »
I agree with Bill on this one...surprise!!  I recently participated in a group buy from Lee on a 6-cavity mould for the .44 caliber.  After three tries Lee still didn't get it right.  I found out how to hone out a Lee mould and fixed one of mine but will NEVER buy a Lee mould again...EVER!!

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »
Yas gits what yas pays for. ::)
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!