Author Topic: good all around barrel length??  (Read 602 times)

Offline stillborn

• Trade Count: (0)
good all around barrel length??
« on: September 11, 2006, 04:31:45 PM »
Well Im wondering about barrel length.  Would 24 inches be a good all around barrel length?  I am still looking at the Pardner Turkey 12 guage, and I am wondering if it would be a good all around shotty.  I know some of my buddies are gonna go dove, quail, rabbit/squirrel and pheasent hunting soon.  Would this gun/barrel length be good for that, or would I be better off with a 28 inch?  I know this wont be my last shotty, just my first.  That and it looks pretty sweet.

Thanks,

still

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: good all around barrel length??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:14:01 AM »
For a general purpose gun . anything from 20" to 24" will be more than enough length and as for choke , a mod or full will work best .

For most bird and bunny hunting you will need a shotgun that swings well and points quickly , the longer barrels do not lend themself to this in close quarters of woods and brush.

My first choice would be a Pardner in 20 ga. with a 22" or 24" barrel and a mod. choke . you can also shoot rifled slugs out of it if need be .

JMHO
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »
Swings Well and Points Quickly are two different things.

A longer (heavier) barrel will swing better, which is what you want where follow through is important, like like with doves and pheasants, and waterfowl.

The shorter barrels will get on target quicker, handi for rabbits, quail and other fast close in critters.

In the Handi, without the extra length from the action, you can have both a longer barrel and a short gun!  I'd say something like 26" is about ideal in any gun, but 28 should be fine for the abbreviated handi.

Modified choke is all you really should need, though choke tubes are nice.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »
For the game you mentioned I cant think of a better choice than the topper deluxe classic in 20ga. That kind of game doesn't require a 12ga and your shoulder will thank you as well. With the tdc you can also change chokes. It's a fine looking gun as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »
I agree with Markus...If I only could have just one shotty, it would be the TDC 20ga.  If you find that you want a little more firepower for those fast movin' pheasants, you could always send off and have a 24" , 12ga Turkey barrel w/screw chokes fitted, at a later time.  Another advantage to the TDC is that it has a vent-rib barrel so you can fit it with fiber optic turkey sights.  Whatever your choice, I am sure you will be happy with the performance of your H&R firearm.  They are great guns and loads of fun.

Cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:41:23 AM »
I have one of the 28" 12 gauge barrels with choke tubes and I really like it, it has taken some tinkering to get the point of aim and the point of impact to conincide but that is an individual gun shooter thing.  But if I had known that they were going to offer the vent rib barrel I would have waited. I would go ahead and pay the little extra for a barrel that is choke tube capable it does make the shotgun more versatile.  As far as 12 vs 20 for the game you have specified either is fine.  I went with the 12 because at the time they didn't offer a 20 with tubes. I too would recommend that you take a look at the Topper Deluxe, that is one fine looking shotgun that points like a dream and is light enough to carry all day and not really notice. I hope this helps

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:17 AM »
Howdy, I'd like to offer an opinion, but it is just that.

I have a 24 inch turkey gun with the removable chokes.  Its a very nice little gun that I paid roughly $145, but there are a couple things about it.  One is the stock, it is cheap palette wood stock and the paint on mine just decided to chip off like a mid 80's gm car.  I have stripped the paint and am just about finished staining and refinishing the stock, but it is cheap ugly wood and there is only so much that can be done to it.  The second thing is that I doubt that I will ever shoot a 3.5 inch shell out of it.  Other than that, It is a fine shotgun that I have a great time shooting.

For my father's 68th birthday, I just recently got him a 12 ga TDC.  He wanted a light little single for block shoots.  The TDC has a nice vent rib barrel and the walnut on it is much better than the palette wood stock.  I paid about $180 for it and can't wait to give it to him.  The first block shoot is about two weeks before his birthday, but I think I am going to give it to him a little early this year. 

If I had to choose between the TDC and the 24" turkey gun, I would spend the few extra bucks and get a TDC.  That being said, when I was in the local gun shop picking up the TDC, there was a used 12 ga pardner with a fixed mod choke.  It still had the hang tag on it and looked like it had never been shot.  It was marked $60, but after a little haggling, I was out the door for $45 with it in hand.