Author Topic: Mortar ID  (Read 670 times)

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Mortar ID
« on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:04 AM »
A good friend of mine has just bought an old iron mortar (lucky blighter!) I'm  trying to help him identify it. Calibre is about 5 1/2 inches & it is 15 inches long. It doesn't conform to regular british royal mortar patterns, mainly by not being bronze, & I doubt that it predates the early 1800s. I don't have any specs on the Federal & Confederate mortars, but I believe that the 24 pr coehorn, which looks very similar to what he has picked up, is bronze. The confederate's made an iron pattern appears to be smooth sided which may rule that out.

Were any mortars made in iron, does anyone know, with an approx 5 1/2" bore and looking similar to the bronze coehorn?? Any help appreciated, Adrian.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Mortar ID
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:16:23 AM »
Adrian,

Any pictures to post?

About 5 1/2 inches could be about 24 PDR. Which actually is  5.82 bore

George, If you will post your link to round ball weight converter.  i will link it inthe reference section.  Then we can figure out what pounder the 5 1/2  realy is. 

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Spherical Shot Weight Calculator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »
Spherical Shot Weight Calculator.  24 pounds of cast iron is 5.66" dia. but an actual shot may not have been exactly 24 pounds.  They seemed to make the diameters sort of round numbers and then round off the weights.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill