Author Topic: newbie topper jr model 490  (Read 1171 times)

Offline liquidliners

• Trade Count: (0)
newbie topper jr model 490
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:52:10 PM »
I purchesed this 410 about 25 years ago with my Dad and some grasscutting money and was wondering what it is worth? It is a model 490 with a gold trigger and greenwing stamped on the side. I have a 10 year old son now and would like tohand it down to him and was just wondering? Thanks for the help

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: newbie topper jr model 490
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 03:29:05 PM »

WElcome to the site. I don't have a idea what the 490 is worth!
 But will say it is worth a lot more to your son than what it would bring.
 It is a very good gun for your son to learn to shoot! just my 2 cents.
 Marv.

Offline pshaw

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 03:56:45 AM »
I have a J. C. Higgins 410 that my Dad bought me for Christmas in about 1950.  Had a cousin that used it as a first gun and my son starting hunting with it too.  No serial number at all back then and its only worth about $15 but I wouldn't sell it for any amount.  Its still used regularly to dispatch snakes and armadillos.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:55:19 PM »
A gun handed down from father to son is priceless. If it's in mint condition maybe $100.00 or a little more if you find the right buyer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline liquidliners

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »
Thanks, I would never sell it just curious. I do rubberized coatings and did my first shotgun barrel the other day and the customer said H&R went out of buisness or changed names and said it might be worth checking into. I think my Dad did a good job teaching me good values and thought I would get my son into it. I had some good times just walking and talking in the woods with my dad. Thanks for the help. :)