Author Topic: + P  (Read 634 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
+ P
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:25:24 AM »
 can you shoot +P ammo in any gun for that cal.? like 38+P in a S&W model 64.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Questor

Re: + P
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:57:41 AM »
Generally, you can shoot it in any revolver made by a major gun company during the past 40 or 50 years. I've considered using it in my 1978 vintage S&W model 14 but was talked out of it by people who have shot a lot of +P ammo in guns chambered for 38 special, and have had seen significant noticeable wear. So the answer is that it's safe, but it's hard on the gun.
Safety first

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:03:22 PM »
With the exception of the .45 Colt needless to say which would be +P only for
 Ruger, TC, FA, & Colt Anaconda.
As defined and covered in most reloading manuals.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:29:59 AM »
Any of the S&W K, L or N frame revolvers are built tough enough for +P loads, the question is whether you need them.  Some of the older J-frame revolvers do not hold up to +P loads, especially the lightweight frames. 

Please remember that when you go to +P (higher pressures) you have to give something up so the pressures stay within pressure tolerances for the revolver.  Usually you give up bullet weight, which is why you find most +P loads for the 38 Spl with lighter bullet weights so you need to ask yourself what you want to use the +P loads for. 

If you reload you can easily roll you own that outperform most +P loads on the market today so again, you need to ask what you want or need the +P loads for.

Given that, your Model 64 may or may not be a great choice for a cylinder full of +Ps.  If it is a newer revolver and rated for +Ps from the factory you can shoot them all you want.  If it isn't, you can load or should be able to purchase non-+P loads that should do very well for you.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:40:37 AM »
i did not know that. I only have used and shot mostly my 454 ruger and i thought +P was like buffalo bore ammo.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 05:06:21 AM »
A steady diet of +p may not be the best thing for the gun, but a little training with them & using for self defense won't hurt anything in a modern gun. The old FBI load of 158 grain +p lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoints is supposed to be the best for self defense. It's still being made today. You may have to look around for it.