Author Topic: 243 Winchester  (Read 667 times)

Offline Qaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
243 Winchester
« on: September 14, 2006, 01:47:29 AM »
 I would like to start loading and shooting cast bullets for target practice. I am having some trouble finding the bullets and safe load info. Can anyone help?

Qaz

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 243 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 02:53:43 AM »
Well, bullets are easy - you make them yourself. For load data use the Lyman cast bullet handbook, or the RCBS book. I have shot a huge number of cast bullets through my .243 with very good results. I use the RCBS 95gr mould, and usually load them over Red Dot or Green Dot to about 1700 fps. Easily holds MOA out to 200M, and is very pleasant to shoot. The only problem with shooting 6mm cast bullets anymore is the Hornady has stopped making 6mm gaschecks. That means that until somebody else starts making them, the supply is limited and they're going to get very scarce. And I don't know of a 6mm plainbase mould available, though you might get one from NEI. With this small bore you'll be extremely limited in performance with a non gaschecked bullet, but it should be possible to make it work if you're patient.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline gutshot_again

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:50:52 AM »
Qaz, you have a PM.

Offline ron haralson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:15:52 AM »
For sure you can get plain base molds from Cast Bullet Engineering - nice brass molds at - not cheap but reasonable prices. I agree that life would be easier with gas checks.