Author Topic: H & R 16ga Barrel-Choke Tube Conversion??  (Read 745 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
H & R 16ga Barrel-Choke Tube Conversion??
« on: January 29, 2006, 12:46:23 AM »
I had a crazy idea!  How about a Pard or Topper 16ga w/choke tubes?  Is the barrel thick enough to have this done?  What is the wall thickness on a 16ga Pard/Topper?  Anyone done this?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
H & R 16ga Barrel-Choke Tube Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:36:31 AM »
I am sure a good gunsmith could do it, even if he had to use thin wall choke tubes but I think there is enough "meat" in the new barrel to use regular tubes, and boy I would love to have one!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:28:05 AM »
$18 a tube for the standard invector chokes from Browning.  I'm gonna call my Smith tomorrow and see what he has to say.  Maybe we can talk him into a discount for 2!!  Maybe I can talk the Smith at Gander into measuring one for me, if they have one in stock.  No sense buyin' the barrel if its too thin to do the job.  Hey, A PROJECT for me to work on while Mamma's at work.  Kool!!
Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 03:22:39 PM »
Gander quoted $90 and that includes 1 choke tube.  $120 and you get 3 tubes.  I think I can do better.  Will keep you posted.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:01:30 PM »
Briley wants $199 to thread a barrel plus 3 chokes. However, their charge for  a single breach loading barrel without tubes is more [$130] than the same work for an auto/pump [$95] without tubes, so.....their charge for a Pardner barrel with tubes may be more.

The prices you mentioned for the work done through Gander Mountain sound pretty good, compared to Briley! Did they say what type tubes they use? [Browning, Remchoke, Winchester.....?]
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
We got to talkin' about Handis and Pards and I forgot to ask what kind of choke tubes.  This guy was asking if I had heard of the Graybeard site.  He visits but is not a member, YET.  He was on the clock, so we didn't get to talk too long.  Anyway, I am still trying to get hold of my gunsmith to see what he can do.  Thanks, offhand, that gives me an idea of where the pricing is coming in.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 11:21:32 PM »
Got hold of my Smithy yesterday.  He is not equipped to do anything but a 12ga.  His price would be $125/one tube.  So, it lookis like Gander is the low bid.  
I think this project will be put on hold for a while.  Just not ready to spend the price of a Handi for a custom shotgun.  Would be great to have a 16ga with choke tubes,  but I guess I just don't want it that bad, yet.LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 01:17:53 AM »
Just to round out all the corners, a Poly-choke is $125 for std, $135 for vented type, all plus shipping.

DaveH, how is your 12ga poly-choke working out fo you?
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline buckweet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H & R 16ga Barrel-Choke Tube Conversion??
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 05:07:31 PM »
IS the 16ga  full choke ? out of the factory ?

i just ordered a 16ga.... with 28 inch barrel.... i assume ? she'll be full choke.

thanks.

weet

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 03:59:21 AM »
Yes, all the new H&R/NEF 16 gauge barrels are full choke. They used to make modified choke 16's but have not produced them for a while. A good gunsmith can open the choke up to whatever you want, and while it's at the gunsmith's perhaps have it backbored also. I am leaning twoards a modified or perhaps improved cylinder for my newly aquired but slightly used 16 gauge barrel I recently got from another member here, but I will shoot it a bit first....<><....   

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »
Cookie,
          Think about the Polly choke II had one put on my NEF 12 ga and have really like the results.  I too am thinking of sending my 16 ga  gun in to have the polly choke instaled.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
DaveH,
The Polychoke II, isn't that the one that just screws right into the barrel that's already threaded for choke tubes?  I thought about that in conjunction with the NEW youth 20ga screw choke barrel.  At 22" then the Poly II that would make it about 26 or 27 inches, right?  Anyway, it sounded like a good barrel to add to the collection.
cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"