Author Topic: Do Colt single actions really leave the factory untested?  (Read 638 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Do Colt single actions really leave the factory untested?
« on: October 14, 2006, 12:30:12 PM »
Was at a gunshow today and was buying a Browning buckmark from a dealer.  Overheard him say to another tire kicker, that when Colt single actions leave the factory they are never cocked, and never tested.  He said that if you cock one of his, you buy it, as it becomes used.  He keeps all of his with a plastic tie on them to prevent that.

I always thought well of many of the gun makers for at least final fiting and even testing their guns before it leaves the factory.  It seems odd that a maker like Colt would just put together a revolver and hope it works.  Was this guy pulling our legs?

Thanks.

Offline ed1921

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Do Colt single actions really leave the factory untested?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:39:52 PM »
I think he's full of it.
He probably doesn't want a bunch of tire kickers playing with his guns just for kicks.
It's rediculous to think a gun hasn't been cocked & tested for function at the factory.
Every gun I've ever bought has appeared to have been test fired & not cleaned. Especially now days with some states requiring a fired cartridge.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:28:43 AM »
The dealer is full of stuff(add your own term please) ! The plastic ties are there to keep down the chances of a firearm firing. Its up to the individual dealers to remove and reinstall one if a prospective buyer wants to try the trigger before buying. If the customer doesn't buy it, at least around here, another tie strap is installed.

The tie straps act like locks... they're only there for the honest person. If someone really had designs on doing something, a piece of plastic ain't gonna stop em.

HWD

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
Yeah, the vendor (well, he's certainly not a supplier!) is full of foul smelly stuff. The plastic ties he inserted himself, not because of any new/used distinction but because the only insurance company left in the country who will provide liability insurance for gun shows requires it. And they do not allow you to remove it to check the action of a used gun prior to sale while at the show, or even back in the gun shop in some cases. This topic was discussed at length on another forum in the past couple of days, and it's not a nice subject.

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:53:21 PM »
Consider it a good omen when you see a gun dealer that acts like that. It's easier to realize that you shouldn't waste your time or money on him. It's amazing how many control freaks are in the gun business.
Safety first

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
I also forgot to mention that he did not want a fellow to strip down a CZ clone, I think it is called a Tanfoglio semi-auto pistol.  He said that if everyone took it apart, it would look used.  I can understand that.  I was amazed at how everyone was focusing on his two Tanfoglios, they were pretty affordable and looked nicely made.  I wonder how many people go to the gun shows to just take apart guns?

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:06:13 AM »
I believe they have to be cocked several times during the assembly process or they couldn't assemble them. The guy is full if it and probably himself. He is just trying to avoid ringing of the cylinder and should say so. Personally I wouldn't buy a gun New or Used without running it through a full cycle.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:36:19 AM »
I also forgot to mention that he did not want a fellow to strip down a CZ clone, I think it is called a Tanfoglio semi-auto pistol.  He said that if everyone took it apart, it would look used.  I can understand that.  I was amazed at how everyone was focusing on his two Tanfoglios, they were pretty affordable and looked nicely made.  I wonder how many people go to the gun shows to just take apart guns?

I agree with you on this one Chris,  There is no need whatsoever for a potential customer to tear down any weapon, if you have a question or doubt about the wear ask the owner to take it apart for you.  I really believe that the "tire kickers" are trying to impress someone with their knowledge and a lot of the time it's limited to the point that they foul things up.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt