Author Topic: Love My .223 Handi  (Read 577 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Love My .223 Handi
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »
Just got back from the range and had a great time with my .223. Three one hole groups. The first one hole group was from a cold clean barrel. Nothing more than 1-1/4 inch and in some gusting winds. No POI changes at all. These groups I shot while supporting  under the fore-stock. The fore-stock is free floated to the hold-down screw and pillar bedded with a stainless steel bushing I had installed. I shimmed behind the spacer and aluminum/epoxied the barrel lug. I shoot 40 gr. Hornady Vmax's over 27.5 gr. of H335. Should be getting around 3500 fps. I think I'll try it on the bipod next. These guns can be made to shoot very accurately. I am ready for coyote hunting with my Handi using my reloads.

Hope this helps somebody who is struggling to get their hand to shoot accurately.

McLernon

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Love My .223 Handi
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:18 PM »
Sounds like you you are ready for the coyotes!I've been shooting the 50 gr vmax and am going to try the 40 gr when I get the time.I put a synthetic forearm on with the o-ring,and it shoots the same using bipods as it did off of sandbags.Bet you will do good to with the pillar added.Never thought of that one on the handi.Anyone else use the pillar bedding on them?
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Docsmith45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:15:25 PM »
That has been my prairie dog load for about three years.  I had tried some other combinations, but my Handi just loves that one.  I sincerely hope my .204 barrel is as accurate when it arrives.