Author Topic: Handi 7mm-08 package  (Read 651 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Handi 7mm-08 package
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
I've been out shopping for a new rifle for hunting season and found a New Handi 7mm-08 with BSA 3-9x40, for $260.00. 

How does that sound?  The only other place I've found handi's were at Gander, but their 7mm-08 is $209.00 with mount but no scope and rings.

Are these prices about on par? Seems like they were going cheaper than that last year. 180-200 for the package.

How is the accuracy "TYPICALLY" in the handi's or in this caliber? I wanted a .243, but the only .243 I found was a youth gun.

Also how are the BSA Scopes.  The one I looked through was really clear.  Not on par with Leupold or Burris, but better than similarly priced Bushnells.
-Davoh

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Handi 7mm-08 package
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »
I have never owned a BSA.  Everyone I have ever talked to that bought one scared me away from them.  A lot of others on here will tell  you to buy Leupold or something like that.  I have always been pleased with my simmons scopes.  Cheap, but do the job.  I also got a visiontac on a used gun I bought.  I have only been able to find them on ebay.  They are cheap.  I have it on a 25-06 and after about 200 rounds, it is still dead on.  They are clear as a bell.  Like I say, I can't afford the expensive scopes and these work for me.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
The BSA scope may be ok, but I would look at the deal as if it weren't part of it, it's probably a give away. Are the rings decent? I'd consider them before the scope's value, consider their cost and add that to the value of the rifle. Walmart sells the wood stocked  Handis for right at $200 and the synthetic stocked for the same price as Gander.  $260 for the rifle and rings sounds a bit high IMO. 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »
The rings and scope together aren't worth $40.00, you would be better with the rifle without a scope and then put something even as cheap as an NC Star on it, BSA stands for Bought crap Again.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »
HaHaHa.That was pretty good (trotterlg).I had the day off today and decided to check out a few pawn shops.I found a handi in 7mm-08 with a BSA scope for $285.The rifle looked like it had been treated poorly but I still thought about buying it.Glad I seen this cause I was going to ask about the BSA scope. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline trophytaker308

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
I've been out shopping for a new rifle for hunting season and found a New Handi 7mm-08 with BSA 3-9x40, for $260.00. 

How does that sound?  The only other place I've found handi's were at Gander, but their 7mm-08 is $209.00 with mount but no scope and rings.

Are these prices about on par? Seems like they were going cheaper than that last year. 180-200 for the package.

How is the accuracy "TYPICALLY" in the handi's or in this caliber? I wanted a .243, but the only .243 I found was a youth gun.

Also how are the BSA Scopes.  The one I looked through was really clear.  Not on par with Leupold or Burris, but better than similarly priced Bushnells.
lets us know how it shots.

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »
Local pawn shop, a national chain, has a 7-08 with a 3-9x30 Bushnell for $170, I really would look a bit more.
D. Rinks