Author Topic: Constant eye relief ?  (Read 704 times)

Offline hylander

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Constant eye relief ?
« on: April 09, 2003, 02:04:43 PM »
:? I'm thinking of purchasing the Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 pistol scope.
It has 18" constant eye relief.
This seems like a bad thing to me, as you must have the scope positioned at the 18" in. mark and leaves no room for adjustment.
what if your arms just Aint that magical lenght for this to be a comfortable
lenght to hold the firearm.  Off the bench I see no problem, but in the field I see this as a potential  problem.

Please explain why most people seem to like this Idea of constant eye relief, as I have no experiance with pistol scopes and do not want my first purchase to be a bad one. :(

Thanks in advance:
hylander_7@yahoo.com
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Constant eye relief ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 02:37:21 PM »
A big advantage with constant eye relief is that you can change you power settings and the eye relief stays the same.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

Constant eye relief ?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 11:04:55 AM »
I think that the eye relief is a constant 20" not 18"  But still, I understand your point.

Actually, although it is "constant" at 20 (or 18 or whatever) it is not "precisely" at 20....  As such, you do have some wiggle room.

I understand your point, but even given what I just mentioned, 18 to 20" is comfortable for most shooters.  If not, then you can always mount the scope in such a way that you are, in effect, kinda either increasing or decreasing the "constant" distance.  Granted you can't mount a scope too far forward or too far back, but you get the idea.

For me, I just love the "constant" eye relief concept and practice.  I have a burris 2x-7x and I love it, but then again I hate it because I can really never get it above 4x anyway because the scope"blacks-out."  Come to think of it, in your talking about a magical number or magical distance, the problem would still be the same even with a variable scope because, although you may be comfortable at one power setting, you won't be at another one.  Do you see what I mean?

Zachary

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Constant eye relief ?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 01:31:05 PM »
Zachary,

Hylander is correct.  The trophy handgun has a constant eye relief of 18" while the Elite 3200 has 20" eye relief.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

Constant eye relief ?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 04:16:29 AM »
Ohhhhhh.  Sorry, my bad. :oops:

It's okay, I love learning something new everyday.  Shows to prove that moderators certainly don't know everything. :wink:

Jon, you're not just a sponsor, and you're not just an optics dealer, you are very knowledgeable and, more importantly, an active participant on these forums that benefits everyone, even (especially?) moderators!  Thanks. :-D

Zachary