Author Topic: moly coating lead bullets  (Read 1013 times)

Offline carpediem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
moly coating lead bullets
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
I'm looking into moly coating some of my lead cast bullets using Bullet Kote.  The instructions say to spray the moly coat onto the bullets, let them dry and bake in the oven.  (I just re-read this and it sounds like baking chicken, LOL :-X).

Has anyone had any experience with moly coating lead bullets?  How did it work out for you?  Did you get an improvement in velocity with lower leading?

Baking the bullets sounds like a process of hardening the bullets, which would allow one to shoot the bullets faster.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Carpediem
Carpediem

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: moly coating lead bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
hey Carp! I used to fish for carp(just kidding)! Heat treating in an oven is only half the process of hardening bullets. As for the molly coating I have tried it several ways.tumbling,spraying and baking!! I never found enough improvements to warrant the extra work.If I used the correctly sized bullets with the RIGHT lube/gas check molly did NOT help ! Then there was the barrel cleaning and retreating hassles to contend with. I leaded one barrel terribly using molly and NO other lube.Since you need the lube to seal the bore anyway ,molly was an extra step that seemed unneeded! My opinion only.

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:25 AM »
I get moly lube from Midsouth go in my luber/sizer this does help rather than spray on moly.  I like liquid allox and powdered moly mixed for muzzleloader bullets.
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline dmurphy317

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:16 PM »
Odinbreaker,
I have some powdered moly that I use to lube my trigger mechanism and such but never thought about using it with alox for bullets. What ratio do you use?
David
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:14:36 AM »
What are you trying to do by moly coating cast bullets? The reason to do jacketed bullets is to reduce the friction of bullet to bore, and make the transition into the lands easier. With lead bullets these two things aren't a problem. Moly does, however, introduce its own set of problems when used. I would think doing this is trying to solve a nonexistant problem. If you want more speed and less leading the things to look at are first and foremost the fit of the bullet to the firearm, whether it is a revolver, pistol, or rifle. Next is bore condition and next is bullet alloy and lube. If you are having a problem with leading or poor accuracy at higher velocities you will be well served to address these areas first. If you're just doing it for fun because you can, go ahead but you will likely not see any improvements.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."