Author Topic: all you .45-70 reloaders help...  (Read 632 times)

Offline wgates011

• Trade Count: (0)
all you .45-70 reloaders help...
« on: September 24, 2006, 08:37:30 AM »
I gota a few questions for you alll.. Fist, what reloading data do you guys use... both of my book have data for the lever action and data for the trapdoors?? Also anyone reloading lead in their handis.. I found some really nice 530 grain and 400 grain lead bulets at a funshow.. Anyone use lead bullets in frount of IMR 4895 or H4198? i am going to pick up a lb of powder tomorro prolly something along the lines of accur2520.. does that sound good?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: all you .45-70 reloaders help...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
I use data from lots of sources, Lee, Nosler, Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate, lots of data online too. Besides the free online data, there's also the Hodgdon Annual at Walmart for $7 and the Loadbooks from Midway for $7 that have data from every bullet and powder mfr all in a small spiral bound pamphlet, the .45-70 booklet was the first one I ever bought, used it yesterday for loading up some 400gr Barnes SSSPs. Have shot a lot of Cast Performance and Beartooth cast bullets, lots of data out there for both.  Check the FAQ and Help sticky, there's a bunch of links in there to data sources.

Tim

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570cast.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:13:52 AM »
With cast bullets I have been using IMR Trail Boss, its a big bulky powder so I only use 16.8grs of it and it is just slightly compressed with my 500gr cast.  My dad likes IMR4198 in his Perresoli with any grain any style of bullet.  It depends what you are doing with it.  For paper punching even hunting loads with cast I would try Trail Boss, the down side to this powder is you get 9oz in a normal 1lb can.  But I think I paid 12.95 for it so it is price accordingly, and it last a long time with only using 17 ro so grains of it per load.  This load is nothing for recoil.

I am pushing a 515gr RNFP with a gas check at close to 1200fps out of my 32" barrel, with clover leaf groups.  I think I will try this load on whitetail come season because it shoots so good, even going that "slow" the weight of the bullet is going to make up for it big time.  I havent shot much but 500gr+ cast and 405gr Jacketed, 300gr Remington Hollow point didnt shoot worth a crap but Im going to stick with slow and heavy.

Hope this helps

DK
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 10:14:11 AM »
My pet load for everyday shooting is the 405 non-gas checked RNFP over 12 grains of Unique . it shoots well at 50 and 100 yards and only kicks like a .410 .

One of the guys on this board turned me on to it ( shaner )  ;) and at 12 gr. you can load a bunch of rounds with a Lb. of powder .

I also like IMR 4895 but for general plunking why use that much powder if you don't have to , i am also going to try some Trail Boss to see if i like it or shoujd i say to see if my Handi likes it .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 10:44:17 AM »
Here's some more low velocity cast bullet data. ;)

Tim

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 02:28:21 PM »
who is this shaner guy hhahhahah  hey , also you can use  green dot and red dot powders  in  the 11 gr and 12 gr under those bullets in a lead cast, hey stimply hows that 45/ 70 doin anyhow

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:39:06 PM »
Shane

It is shooting great with the iron sites , i have put a 4x simons on it and hope to get it sighted in again this weekend . by the way when are we going to get together for some shooting .  :D 

Stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped